Nyleve asked in PetsOther - Pets · 1 decade ago

why are rabbits eyes red?

random i know..but i was just wondering..my niece asked me..and i told her to get on the school bus and i would have the answer for her when she got home.

Favorite Answer

It is genetics. There are a few different genes that can cause red eyes. The albino gene (cc) is where all the color pigment is removed. This causes the eyes to appear pink. Basically it is just a lack of color. The himalayan gene (ch) also shows red eyes. The himalayan gene is just one step about the albino gene. This gene removes all the color except at the points, nose, ears etc. Since the eyes are not on the points the eyes here will be red. Some of the other genes in the C series such as sable point can have a ruby cast to the eyes but the eyes themselves should not be pink or red like the albino or himi.

Source(s): I have raised rabbits for 20 years.

Rabbits With Red Eyes

• Ann B

Not all rabbits have red eyes, only albino rabbits have red eyes, although some colors do have a "ruby glow" to the eyes.

Eye color has to do with the concentration of, or lack of, pigment in the eyes.

Fully pigmented rabbits have brown eyes, dilute pigmented rabbits have blue/grey eyes.

Shaded rabbits (such Siamese-colored) have brown or grey eyes with very little pigment so that the eyes shine red in low light.

Red-Eyed White rabbits are true albinos and have no pigment whatsoever, so what you're actually seeing is the blood flowing through the eyes.

The Californian (white with black nose, ears, feet, and tail) also has red eyes, he's a partial albino that's sensitive to temperature, during hot weather his dark points fade out.

Then there's another gene mutation that creates a White rabbit with blue eyes, called the Blue-eyed White -- these rabbits are not albinos, as there is pigment in the eyes.

Source(s): Rabbit breeder 12+ years

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

why are rabbits eyes red?

Source(s): rabbits eyes red: https://shortly.im/tVX18

Red eye is a relatively common condition which causes swelling or irritation in the rabbit's eye or eyelid. This appearance of blood vessels in the eyeball can develop because of various reasons, including many systemic or body diseases. If your rabbit has red eye, seek veterinary advice immediately, as it is generally a secondary symptom to a more serious condition.

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/awYsn

I love rabbits but the red eyed ones creep me out. So I guess I don'r like them.

my rabbit has blue eyes but at times they turn red. why is that?

Is it an albino rabbit?

If its albino there is no pigment in the iris so it's a reflection of the back of the eye,the retina

Source(s): psychology 101

i just think that there are different rabbits in the world like those are so i just think its a trait