Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsMotorcycle Racing · 1 decade ago

What size motocross bike do i get?

Im a 25 year old rider, i'm no stranger to the track i've raced quads usually my honda 450r, But i want to switch to motocross what size bike should i get im a shorter rider 5'4 and weigh 140lbs some people say 85cc or 125cc but the 125 usually run too tall. This will be for moto track not trail

Best Answer

You really need to check the sections available to you where you intend to race as generally the age you are it is expected that you would race something like any of the known brand 250f's or perhaps a 2 stroke 125cc. The smaller bikes like the 85cc usually are only for those up to 16 years. These restrictions are a lot looser if you happen to be female but if not then you are limited. A 250f would be an easier bike for you to ride as far as power delivery goes and really they are more the bike of choice for racers as the 2 stroke is a dying breed. The 2 stroke would be a little lighter but I have seen riders as short as you manage 250f's with the suspension adjusted and the seat shaved.

If you are used to a 450R power-wise why would you consider a 125, and even more importantly why would anyone here recommend a 125? A 125 is the same height (or even taller) than a 250F or 450F so I just don't see the logic behind that. If you haven't spent much time on the track on 2 wheels I would suggest a 250F, but most definitely not a 125. Not ragging on 125's, I have an RM125 myself, but it is not the logical choice for you by any means. There are lowering linkages and lowering sub-frames on the market so do a search on those. You can also have the seat foam shaved down. If you have $8000 to spend ( a new 250F is about $7000) you could get the Service Honda Junior R. It is a CRF250R engine in a smaller frame. It will be the size of an 85 or 150R big wheel model. The one shown is setup for desert but you can get it configured for motocross as well.

http://www.servicehonda.com/junior%20r.html

If you ride a 450r quad and not a stranger to the track you should be able to ride just about anything, Even at 5'4 and 140 It would Pretty much depend on how much power you wont, Im only 5'3 at 136 and i ride a older yz490 scary fast and tall plenty of travel at 136 lbs its hard to bottom out but fun trying.I would recommendd a 250 ether yz,rm,kx.cr they are all Pretty much close but stick to a jap bike not Chinese for motocross,

125. There are people your height riding them. Yes, they are tall, but they can me made to fit you better. and 85 and even a 100 is too small for you.

Or you can do a 250 4 stroke, but I like 2 smokes myself.

first, shave the seat. that will help ALOT. and then see if you can buy a lowering shock linkage kit for the bike your looking for. after that, you will have no problem. Also, because of your size (light weight), have a shop adjust the suspension to fit YOU, if you can.

well a 125 or a 250f would be good.

im 5/9 and weigh 178 and i ride a 09 yz450f.

so if your 140 and 5/4 i wouold get a 250f or 125 and lower the suspinsion.

125cc for sure. Ain't no 25 year olds riding around in the 85cc class...haha. Just get on and ride.

Source(s): Knowledge - Intuition - Experience

your lucky your small go with the 150r..

its like a 250 just a step smaller and less power..

a very good rider on a 150 will hang easyy with 250's on a track.

really look into the crf150r

yeah id get a 125. you can shorten the rear shock so it is shorter for you. thats what i had to do for my 250f, and now its fine. id say just get a 125 cause you can have that for along time, just adjust the rear suspension