Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

How come Americans pay twice as much for healthcare as Canadians?

And yet have a system that is half as good?

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/hea_spe_per_per-...

Yes, America has better technology, but a really crap system, one they are already paying more than anyone in the world for.

I am a Canadian!

Favorite Answer

Hmmm...I don't know. Why do Canadians pay 5 times as much in taxes as Americans?

Our scientific device is enormously stepped forward, not appropriate however, not something is. in case you have an emergency you get help almost right this moment, and based how life threatening your situation is you are able to as nicely see a doctor as quickly as you get to the scientific institution, which includes interior the case of a heart attack, and you do not would desire to concern approximately paying a dime. the only component you pay is the ambulance fee that's like $50 or some thing yet once you get pushed it is actual, actual one hundred% unfastened. And interior the case of seeing your loved ones well being care professional in case you positioned up an appointment you are able to anticipate to verify them interior of two-4 weeks. And it is not important what social status you're you're able to be the poorest individual in Canada and characteristic a internet worth of -one hundred,000 and homeless, you nevertheless get unfastened well being care. you're enjoyed unconditionally up right here :) additionally i could upload in case you pass to a health center you notice a doctor interior of an hour finding on how busy that's.

Too much misinformation and lies are being thrown around concerning health care. Too many lies are being told about universal health care. Many americans - even on here answering this question - are telling us to mind our business about the american health care system but do they mind their business about ours? Hell no, of course. They only talk crap about our UHS and other countries health care system.

"If the canadian health care system is so good then why are canadians coming to the USA for treatments?". That's what so many americans are saying. Around 1% of canadians are probably going to the USA for treatments. So now should we say that 1% represents the whole population? Of course not.

If our system is so bad as so many of you americans are saying, why aren't we getting rid of it? Why over 80% of canadians prefer our health care system over yours?

Sorry but I prefer paying a bit more taxes every month than having to worry about how I will pay the rent or the food for me and my family if God forbids one of us get sick.

We all have health care. All of us. Unlike in America where so many doesn't have health care insurance. None of us get broke or file for bankruptcy because of hospital bills. None of us. Unlike in America where so many loses all they have if they get sick.

Because of the lies and half truths that they are told.

I am always amazed how many Americans seem not to be aware about the real healthcare issues relying instead on FOX and other sources to spread lies about the healthcare system of the USA and those abroad. I mean, if healthcare in nations with universal coverage is so bad, why do they keep it?

Obama wants to make insurance more available to all and change the system so that it gives the American people value for money [1]. He also wants change so that the insurance companies find it harder to get out of paying for treatment. The system he is proposing looks similar to that which works in Taiwan where private companies are involved in providing healthcare [2].

Obama campaigned on reforming the healthcare system. He said he wanted to make insurance more available and he was elected by the American people to do this [3].

FACT - the US has higher death rates for kids both for kids aged under one and those under five than western European countries with universal health coverage [4].

FACT – American insurance companies push up prices and work to stop paying out claims on those they cover [5].

FACT - the USA spends more on healthcare PER PERSON than any other nation on the planet [6].

That means that a dead American four year old would have had a better chance of life if they were born in any western nation with universal health coverage.

If you do not like the policies that Obama was elected to bring in, he can always be voted out of office in 2012. But if you disagree with the facts, please let me know. I am always willing to learn, but please provide proof. None of those who disagree with me have been able to do that so far.

Because politics in America is mostly influenced by money... The more money you have the more of a voice that you have. The insurance companies have a very wealthy lobbying group. Why would a senator who wants to raise funds for his next election listen to a average citizen when they don't have the money of the insurance company? Its that simple.

It's no use arguing with them. They will continue to parrot the talking points they've been fed in spite of the facts. Isn't it funny that they all claim to know more about your system than you yourself?

Speaking as an American, I'd love to have the Canadian system of insurance (i.e., single payer). Of courses, that means I'm not a real American, so my opinion doesn't count.

(sigh!)

Because our health care system is not a capitalist system instead we have a monopoly and when you have that you have inflated prices, policies that are intended to bring in premiums but not insure people.

• babbie

Well, the proof is in the pudding, as they say. I can go to the ER for free if I need to, get better, quicker care than you, in a clean facility, in a fraction of the time it takes you. If our system is so crappy, why do we have a higher cancer survival rate than you? Why do our infant mortality statistics include babies doctors tried to save rather than just allowing to die so they could record them as still born? Why do your people continuously die from lack of treatment because they had to wait too long or the government said it wasn't cost effective? Why do Canadians keep coming here to the US for treatment? Yes, we pay more, but that's why - as you just admitted - we have better technology, heck, our technology is cutting edge. You get what you pay for, you know, there is no Medical Care Fairy.

Source(s): Wondering why Canadians never back up their mouths about why our health care is inferior to theirs.

That's funny.

Seems you have a 10% VAT tax on almost everything you purchase and you also have ridiculously high income taxes. Also, the Canadian government does not allow PHARMA to advertise directly to consumers, which raises the cost of drugs by as much as 25% in the USA. You also have to pay for some of your care out of pocket and we have a much better system. Also, if you compare GDP to cost percentage in each country, we don't pay nearly as much as you think we do.

If your canadian, than why are you sticking your nose in our health care system?

If I were you, and thank the good Lord I'm not, I'd be thanking the good Lord that I have a better health care system than the stupid Americans!

I gave an answer the other day about why health care is so costly here in America. I was deleted!

My answer was greedy doctors and liberals!

I'd like to add one more to that. Pharmacy Companies!

Now you know the whole ugly truth about our health care system!

Yeah, that's why Canadians who have serious illnesses that need attention right away come to the US to get it. We pay more because we don't rely on the government to run our health insurance, except for medicare and medicaid and CHIP. And they are seriously close to being out of money because they have been so poorly managed.