Anonymous

Is it really all that bad to list a company you've never worked for on your résumé?

Let's say you know someone in the Human Resources dept. that would verify that you've 'worked' there.

20 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I say go for it. It's a dog eat cat world and everyone's afraid of living in a cardboard box under an over pass. Make sure it doesn't happen to you!

• LR
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

It is one thing to put a positive spin in a resume; it is an entirely different thing to lie. If you get caught, you will not only lose the job, but you will destroy your professional reputation. You can't guarantee who will be called at the company, or someone may know someone there to ask what kind of an employee you were. This is not only wrong, it is potentially dangerous to your career.

• 1 decade ago

I have a real job I worked for that will not verify that I worked there because the human resource woman has lots of sand in her hooha.

I also have never worked for an airbrush shop, but my resume clearly states I have. Strangely enough, those were the exact dates that I worked in the bar.

• 1 decade ago

There's always the odds that this could not show up on a background check. Of the type where they just run your employment and do not contact the company directly, per se. Be careful--better yet, honest.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

HR departments have seen that one before -- they now fax over a copy of your signed permission and then ask the past employers for the dates you were employed there, your duties, and your ending wage/salary, plus the name of your supervisor.

and, if they detect lying and collusion by someone inside HR, the one VP of HR gets on the phone to the other and your 'friend' inside the company is called on the carpet and/or fired.

don't go there

Source(s): my daughter is the VP/HR at one of those companies -- they look hard for liars and resume padders -- and they're all fired for cause if they ever got hired.
  • One white lie won't hurt you, but two can be dangerous. For instance, don't tell potential employers that you are Gladys Knight's back-up singer AND the starting goalie for the Toronto Maple Leafs.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Honesty is always the best policy and will save you from looking foolish and cost the possibility of getting the job

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Very recently my son had his supervisor for working at little league fields 8 years ago contacted.

They are taking a very hard look at references and mostly for misinformation.

Be careful.

• 1 decade ago

Ofcourse it's bad. They may not know it during your application or even on your first months but eventually, they will still find out about it. Just be honest, you don't need to tell stupid lies coz truth will always come out.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Come on Toni, the manager at McDonalds is probably not going to call Hooters to verify that you "worked" there.

Source(s): what's a resume? Is that what you use when you don't have a giant bosom?
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.