Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationOther - Cars & Transportation · 1 decade ago

CAR COLOUR CHANGE!!!!!!..WHAT DO I DO?

Hi,

I am thinking of changing the colour of my car from green to Met Black.

* What do i do legally?

* How does it effect my insurance?

* Would this be classed as a Modifation with regards to my insurance even though the log book will state the new colour?

* Will the insurance price sky rocket?

I was thinking that if i change the colour and then notify the DVLA who change the colour on the log book. That would be it.. is that correct?

Thanks

Favorite Answer

it shouldn't affect your insurance, but ring up the DVLA for the procedure first, and I would recommend telling your insurance company what you have done before you drive it as well

• Cowpat

We changed the colour of our land rover to black and it was simply a case of contacting the DVLA and letting them know.

They then on completion of the form sent a new log book with the new colour in it.

It did not affect the insurance and all we did at the time was tell the insurers and it was modified on the policy.

The Post Office do a booklet on behalf of the DVLA which is brilliant and covers all sorts of things like this. Need to ask for it as it is often the staff side of the counter.

Yes, you do need to inform the DVLA because if you were involved in an accident, maybe they would need to trace the vehicle and pass the details to the police, however if you didn't inform the DVLA then a simple reg check at any time could uncover your remiss and involve you in a court case.

It would be common courtesy to let your insurers know as it is in fact a change of detail.

Black is an awkward Colour as it never looks clean for long as is white.