Why do some christians joke about Buddha being fat but when you joke about Jesus they get angry?

I have some christian family and friends and they never have a problem if someone jokes about other peoples religion, in fact they join in and take the piss out of them, but as soon as someone makes a joke about Jesus or christianity they get angry, why is that?

I know the laughing Buddha is not Siddhartha Gautama, but it would have taken to much space to explain.

• 42
    Favorite Answer

Hypocrisy. They can dish it out but they can't take it.

At the very least, they're utterly failing at their savior's command to Do Unto Others. I also think he said something about pride being a sin.

The "fat" Buddha isn't the Buddha that Buddhism was based on, anyway. That was a Chinese monk who lived several hundred years after Siddhartha Gautama. But I wouldn't expect ignorant religious bigots to know that.

The fat golden "buddha" does NOT represent Siddhartha Gautama, the Buddha. He was just a famous Chinese monk.

I just wanted to point that out.

That's what happens when you see the world in black vs. white, us vs. them terms, darling. They can't even see their own hypocrisy and rudeness.

Not only do they joke about the Buddha - ignorantly, calling him fat (that's Hotei) or claiming that he's worshiped as a god (he's not) or claiming that Buddhists are idol-worshipers (they're not) - yet fail to have any kind of a sense of humor about Jesus...I've noticed that users on Y!A have no problem answering questions about Buddhism (or Hinduism) with nasty comments about how Buddhism leads to hell or that Buddhists have been fooled by Satan and then complaining about how rude atheists are and asking why we're on Y!A because we question or state opposition to their beliefs.

Buddha is NOT the fat guy. That is a monk called Hotei famous mostly in Chinese communities and parts of Japan/ Korea. Buddha was an athletic Prince from India. It shows their ignorance.

People are hypocritical, by nature. It's messed up, yes. But I think a large group of Christians do not disrespect other religions like that, at least the ones I've met. This is coming from an atheist.

The real Buddha was a skinny indian prince. The fat chinese guy is a Chinese depiction that carried into Korea, Japan and SE Asia

Okay, here is the answer to the question you are asking. Jesus is nothing to be joking about. He can take your next breath away. Now other idols, such as confusciasm, communism, or anything that is contrary to Jesus Christ or the Lord of Lords, or the Kings of Kings, This should not be joked because the coming of the Lord is at hand. People can do what they want. they can sit in the pews and worship. I am going to let this out. If people joke about Jesus, Please check out the source.

Source(s): "In the Beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God… and the Word became flesh and dwelt among us." John 1:1, 14

>>The priest didn’t respond immediately but he kind of gave this guy a death stare and he didn’t look like he appreciated the joke. He then changed the subject completely and the ugly little incident was forgotten<< What? You mean he just let it pass? He didn't yell at the host, file a lawsuit, issue a fatwa, or perform a beheading? Seems like Christians are rather tolerant people...

Buddha was not fat, he was an enlightened great soul and the fat person about which you have written is a follower of Buddha.

They believe Jesus is Divine, and they believe that Buddha is just a guy who founded a belief system that is false in their eyes, so they don't see any harm in poking fun at Buddha.

My favorite joke like that is: I have the body of a god: (rim shot) Buddha.