is it okay to eat expired seasoning?

okay.. i have some sweedish meatballs seasoning that expired july 18, 2008... its oct. 13, 2009.. is it TOO expired or okay to eat?

14 Answers

Relevance
  • ideas
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I think it will be okay, especially if it has been sealed up.

Good luck. :)

• Login to reply the answers
  • 3 years ago

Does Seasoned Salt Expire

• 1 decade ago

MMmmmmmh those Swedish Meatballs sound yummy. I'd say read what people said but.. don't listen :) :) :)

Were they frozen? Then heck yeah they are fine. I wouldn't use the seasoning anymore but I totally would eat the meatballs. It sould be totally fine!!! We are human, we have strong bodies to fight off our stupid choices anyhow. We aren't dogs so just don't take it too far.. haha!

Enjoy your delicious meatballs.

Source(s): We all have probably eaten expired foods in life before, get real.
  • 1 decade ago

Some people may say it's fine. But to me, you shouldn't really eat expired food over a year. It wont poison you or anything, but probably the taste will just change :)

you know what they say, better safe then sorry :)

Source(s): Enjoy your meatballs :)
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

That's pretty old.

I'd toss it ASAP

Although I don't think you'd get food poisoning

(unless maybe if there are bugs in it.....ewwww)

It most likely has lost its flavor and rich color

Buy new and as fresh as you can.

Make it a rule that every October you toss all dry seasoning and replenish your supplies just in time for the holidays.

That's what I do.

• Linda
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Why eat minced beef from a packet? Who knows how long it's been there before the "best before" or "expiry" date stamps are put on. Go to your local butcher next time for fresh meat. You'll be ok,

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I think it should be fine, just use it then dump the rest if any is left over. One should make a habit of always having fresh spices and herbs in the kitchen :)

• 1 decade ago

Yes use it, my brother has a degree in food processing, he said those things are good even for 6 more months if sealed. Its OK. I do it

• 1 decade ago

Since its dry and sealed, I'd imagine it wouldnt kill you or make you sick, but it definently wouldnt taste the same. Over time seasonings loose their kick and/or flavor. I'd toss.

• 1 decade ago

It will not be as powerful for a seasoning but you will be ok. I do all the time. They just need more salt for flavor.

• 1 decade ago

expiration dates are estimates...... within 3-4 days latter to the expiration date should be fine, but if you doubt throw it out!

Source(s): personal knowledge
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.