is it okay to eat expired seasoning?

okay.. i have some sweedish meatballs seasoning that expired july 18, 2008... its oct. 13, 2009.. is it TOO expired or okay to eat?

• ideas
    Favorite Answer

I think it will be okay, especially if it has been sealed up.

Good luck. :)

Does Seasoned Salt Expire

MMmmmmmh those Swedish Meatballs sound yummy. I'd say read what people said but.. don't listen :) :) :)

Were they frozen? Then heck yeah they are fine. I wouldn't use the seasoning anymore but I totally would eat the meatballs. It sould be totally fine!!! We are human, we have strong bodies to fight off our stupid choices anyhow. We aren't dogs so just don't take it too far.. haha!

Enjoy your delicious meatballs.

Source(s): We all have probably eaten expired foods in life before, get real.

Some people may say it's fine. But to me, you shouldn't really eat expired food over a year. It wont poison you or anything, but probably the taste will just change :)

you know what they say, better safe then sorry :)

Source(s): Enjoy your meatballs :)

That's pretty old.

I'd toss it ASAP

Although I don't think you'd get food poisoning

(unless maybe if there are bugs in it.....ewwww)

It most likely has lost its flavor and rich color

Buy new and as fresh as you can.

Make it a rule that every October you toss all dry seasoning and replenish your supplies just in time for the holidays.

That's what I do.

• Linda

Why eat minced beef from a packet? Who knows how long it's been there before the "best before" or "expiry" date stamps are put on. Go to your local butcher next time for fresh meat. You'll be ok,

I think it should be fine, just use it then dump the rest if any is left over. One should make a habit of always having fresh spices and herbs in the kitchen :)

Yes use it, my brother has a degree in food processing, he said those things are good even for 6 more months if sealed. Its OK. I do it

Since its dry and sealed, I'd imagine it wouldnt kill you or make you sick, but it definently wouldnt taste the same. Over time seasonings loose their kick and/or flavor. I'd toss.

It will not be as powerful for a seasoning but you will be ok. I do all the time. They just need more salt for flavor.

expiration dates are estimates...... within 3-4 days latter to the expiration date should be fine, but if you doubt throw it out!

Source(s): personal knowledge