Is it legal to hunt and kill burmese pythons in Florida's Everglades?

Follow
  • Follow publicly
  • Follow privately
  • Unfollow
These creatures are taking over the Everglades, attacking even the alligators. Couldn't hunters be allowed to shoot them and thus bring them under control
Best AnswerAsker's Choice
Its not legal without a permit from FWC. Getting one is a challenge. I lived in Central FL and worked in south florida on a regular basis, and even 5 years ago it was known to the locals from Redlands to Everglades City to Clewiston that they were all over. Its only through recent publicity that anything is being done. A few years back, some FWC guys (or gals) conducting a gator census found a huge dead alligator half consumed by a huge dead python. It looks photoshoped, but FWC confirms its the real deal.

I dont know why they dont just make this dangerous invasive species 'open season'.

Source:

Asker's rating & comment

4 out of 5
This answers my question, and it cites a picture that I have myself seen on the internet. My conclusion is that Florida is disregarding a serious problem. A burmese python can easily kill and eat a small child. When this eventually happens, maybe people will wake up.
  • Rate
  • Comment

Other Answers (7)

Rated Highest
  • Rated Highest
  • Oldest
  • Newest
  • Hangfire answered 5 years ago
    Pythons down in Florida are like Feral Hogs in the South..destructive. It's probably not impossible to obtain a permit but it's not easy. If Florida doesn't do something soon they could seriously hurt the American Alligator...if they haven't already.

Source(s):

• 1
    • Comment
  • Justin answered 5 years ago
    Wow, that's crazy! I thought you were joking so I searched it and I found out it's a huge problem. I came across this reptile website talking about letting licensed hunters in to hunt the python's since they are a non native species that need to be eradicated. I'll post it here, check it out

www.reptilechannel.com/reptile-news/20...
    • 1
    • Comment
  • Taylor answered 5 years ago
    I was told once that all species of snakes are protected under federal law. I live in sourthen missouri in the mark twain national park. we have a serious rattle snake problem this past summer. people were keeping 12ga loaded with magnum turkey shot for the main purpose of blasting snakes into a million pieces. Mans law if your about to be attacked by any deadly animal........kill it first!
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • Old Hickory answered 5 years ago
    In my home state the Game and Fish Commission has open season on feral hogs year round. Unnatural wild animals hurt the native species. Florida should do the same with these snakes.
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • Annie Oakleaf answered 5 years ago
    They are a nuisance, feral animal. Contact your local DNR website to be on the safe side.
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • ThankaVET answered 5 years ago
    I say yes but,you will have to read the laws and write to your politicians.

Source(s):

• Rate
    • Comment
  • Mav answered 5 years ago
    I just read a link posted by Tahoeguy,and I can`t believe the inhumane way that the snakes are to be taken. No firearms or traps are to be used. Nets have to be used and then club or spear them to death. What is this S##T. I am not a peta advocate, But this treatment of a living creature is unacceptable to me. I`m going to be e-mailing some of our Florida polititions,we need to have this cruel manner of harvest changed.
    • 1
    • Comment
  • Sign In 

to add your answer

Who is following this question?

%
    BEST ANSWERS
    Member Since:
    Points: Points: Level
    Total Answers:
    Points this week:
    Follow

Unfollow

Block

Unblock