Macy's Credit Card...Help!?

This is truly a nightmare...here is the long story but its pertinant. I went to Macy's to buy a pair of denim shorts. I did not have much money, but I really was sweating up a storm. Anyway, here is the conversation that went down at the cash register: Me, "Hi I want to buy these shorts for... show more This is truly a nightmare...here is the long story but its pertinant.

I went to Macy's to buy a pair of denim shorts. I did not have much money, but I really was sweating up a storm. Anyway, here is the conversation that went down at the cash register:

Me, "Hi I want to buy these shorts for $19.99."
Cashier, "Ok, do you want to apply for a Macy's credit card? If you do, you get 20% off this purchase!"
Me, "I have two credit cards that are a pain, I don't want another one."
Cashier, "You just have to apply for it, not charge this purchase on it."
Me, "So I can charge this on my ATM for this, get 20% off this purchase, not be charged on the Macy's card for this purchase, not be charged a dime for having this card just sitting on my wallet, and cancel this credit card tomorrow and have no penalty?"
Cashier, "Yes."
Me, "Are you sure? Because I don't want another credit card."
Cashier, "Yes I am sure."

I got 20% off the pants that were about $17. I gave them my ATM card to swipe, and ID to apply for the credit card. Fine and dandy. I did my expenses and looked on my bank account, there was a pending charge for $17.00...cool. =)

3 months later, I get a phone call from Macy's asking me to pay the $55.00! That being said, I found out that the cashier swiped my card, but the pending charge did not go through. I know for a fact she switched it when I left Macy's. What a sneaky jerk! Anyway, I had the fees waved 3 different times. Each time I got paid, I would go negetive in my bank account due to not doing my expenses. (I have disabilities, and I would always have less than $5 in my account after I get paid) ...anyway. Each time they waved the fee, I only had to pay $23, and they would call it even. I couldn't pay it, even though it was a small amount. I was going to call them soon and pay it anyway.

They are asking for $55, and cannot wave anymore fees even though they did 3 times already. I remained calm and collected the whole time. (I work in a call center for a living so I feel their pain, lol). Even worse, they want it before my next paycheck (Oct 22). They said when 7 months hit, which is Oct 20, the account will be closed. I have $30 in my account until Oct 22. To pay this off, I will have to pay $20 before I get paid, and another $35.00.

Can they really do this because the Macy's sabotaged my card?

What happens if I do not pay it, and it becomes 7 months past due?

If its 7 months past due, if there is multiple things that could happen, what could they be?

I know its a long story, but thanks in advance!

Due to other financial issues, I have the money to pay