Jay
Jay asked in SportsHockey · 1 decade ago

So, what do you think about the Caps' all decade team?

So, I read the following article about the Caps' all decade team. First of all, what do you think about it, and who else do you think should be on it or who on the list should not be there?

http://www.japersrink.com/2009/10/13/1078054/washi...

Line 1: Ovechkin-Nicklas Backstrom-Bondra

Line 2: Alexander Semin-Adam Oates-Dainius Zubrus

Line 3: Laich-Robert Lang-Chris Clark

Line 4: Steve Konowalchuk-Halpern-Ulf Dahlen

Def 1: Brendan Witt-Gonchar

Def 2: Morrisonn-Green

Def 3: Calle Johansson-Ken Klee

Goalies

Starter: Kolzig

Back-up: Huet

Alternate: Johnson,

w/ the following being their all decade team:

Ovi-Halpern-Bondra

Gonchar-Green

Kolzig

honestly, I think Brashear deserves a spot, since he did a pretty good job as the team enforcer. I also think Federov and Kozlov were as valuable as Huet.

Also, name the coach or coaches who are the Caps' coach/es of the decade. I'd say either Bruce or Wilson

i was considering simon, but i think of him more for what he did in the 90s. stevens was more of an 80's guy. in fact, according to wikipedia, he played his last season w/ the caps in 89-90. he's also known more as a devil than a cap.

jagr didn't really produce all that much for the caps

Favorite Answer

Brashear was good, but I think Chris Simon was the best caps enforcer ever. Him and scott stevens.

It's pretty good but...

Why wouldn't you take Jaromir Jagr over Zubrus? I know Jagr underperformed in DC but he was still no slouch.

Even though he was at the end of his career I'd still include Sylvain Cote on defense probably at the expense of Witt even though everyone loved Witt's physical style.

I guess the goalies are right based on what Huet did in '08 but he's been shown pretty mediocre in Chicago. I might make Johnson the backup and Huet the Alternate. Honorable mention to Craig Billington, the only other goalie of merit so far.

We know Glen Hanlon doesn't qualify. Cassidy was a decent coach but he blew it against the Lightning in '03. That leaves Boudreau or Wilson. I think Boudreau is a better coach and his style is much more entertaining. Wilson did his best work here in the 90's, a lot of that we can credit to Kolzig however.

Edit: I agree with the previous poster if you want to take an enforcer take Simon over Brash. Jagr still avg'd 1.06 PPG during his stay; I know it seemed a lot worse for hopeful fans.