Tessa Starr asked in PetsReptiles · 1 decade ago

rescued wild snake from dog. keeping the snake. tell me what kind it is?

Photo: http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj293/irtreefro...

Darker color is brown and lighter color is greyish (if you can't tell)

So I work at a kennel. I was letting one of the dogs out in the yard and I noticed it growling at the ground. I went over to see what its problem was and I found a snake. I decided to keep it rather than letting a dog bite it in half. And since it's getting colder outside I figure it'd be better off inside rather than out. I bought a 10g tank for it. I filled it with some dirt, dry leaves, and a couple branches. I also put in a shallow dish of water.

I'd like to know what kind of snake this is and what I should feed it. I was thinking about buying some crickets or mealworms but it's so tiny thart I'm not sure if it'd be able to eat them =/

Also, will it get any bigger?

Will it bite if I try to pick it up?

How can I tell its gender?

Should I add anything else to the tank besides what's already there? I'll be setting up a heat lamp next to it that'll be on during the day, but the room he's in is the hottest room in the building so I don't think he'll be cold.

I forgot to add that I live in southern Delaware (US) if that helps at all.

I just read that they eat small reptiles, rodents and birds. I just can't imagine something that tiny eating a pinky mouse though. Would it be okay with eating crickets and mealworms just for now? There's no place that I know of in my state that sells feeder mice/rats or even frozen ones.

Favorite Answer

Yes it looks like a cornsnake.

I also agree you would be best of releasing it (unless injured then take to an animal sanctuary that works with reptiles.

You don't yet no anything about cornsnake care and it will be much harder to adapt a wild caught animal to being confined eating nd eating on captivity also it will likely have parasites which are not so problematic in wild snakes but are in captives, the cost of getting this treated would likely exceed the cost of a captive bred snake. If you are interested in snakes i would take a little time to read up on them. Young corns and other good beginners snakes are inexpensive when captive bred and will do much better in captivity.

To answer you questions

Corns eat rodents they will start on baby mice and progress as they go, they can eat food as wider or a little wider than the thickest part of their body, a wild snake may not want to take dead mice however feeding live mice in a confined space is dangerous for the snake. They don't eat any insects.

I can't tell how big it is there but it looks small ( and if you were concerned about mealworms being too big i assume it is) They can grow to between 4-6ft long and about an inch and between an inch and a half to two inches thick.

Yes a wild young corn will quite likely nip you and possibly defecate on you, this may well stop with persistent handling but it could take a while it is never guaranteed.

Gender can only reliably be told by a very experienced keeper inserting an appropriately sized steel prob into it's cloaca (vent) the number of Ventral scales deep it goes determines the gender (more for males) sometimes a male will pop out his hemipenes if light pressure is put either side of the vent however this is unreliable as a male may not do this every time also it cn injure the snake if done incorrectly.

It needs thermostatically controlled heat (it is just as easy to overheat as under heat.) which provides a cool to hot gradient

A digital thermometer to monitor the temps

Something secure to hide in at both the hot and cool end

A secure fitting lid, they are escape artists

Larger vivariums as it grows eventually it will need at least 3ft x 18 inch vivarium maybe larger.

Also be ware that all the items you put in this tank may have mites in them this will also cause great problems for a captive snake.

As i say the snake will do much better in the wild but once it has been in captivity for a while it will stand a much worse chance at surviving so if you ignore the advice and keep it and it does adapt you are looking at commitment of 15-20 yrs possibly more

Source(s): Long time reptile keeper and enthusiast.
  • johnny

The best thing is to release it back into the wild. Wild snakes are usually loaded with internal parasites. To remedy that, a vet will need to treat him. You are right, this species will eat small frogs and small lizards to pinkie mice when they are babies. As they become larger, they will take larger rodents and small birds. Your snake does look like a corn snake but, it can may be a baby grey rat snake too because there are slight similarities for both snakes at this stage of their lives. The grey rat is mostly found in the South East. As a grey rat snake matures, the skin pattern will noticeably change. A corn snake's skin pattern does not really change as it gets older. Both species will average 4-5ft. but, the grey rat can go to 6ft. Both species can bite if they are handled roughly. If you plan on keeping and raising this snake, get a hide/shelter for your snake, replace the dirt with aspen shavings (no pine) and get a lid for the tank with clips and two thermometers, one for each end of the tank. Gender is determined by having the snake probed or popped by a pro. It is still best to release him back to a secluded area that has cover and nearby water like a creek or river. Because corn snakes do normally thrive in your area, I feel that a corn snake is the snake in your picture.

Source(s): Snake Keeper

Looks like a rat snake....maybe cornsnake. Hard to tell without looking up close at the head. I'm going to stick with my first guess and say Rat snake.

Rat snakes eat a variety of small mammals and even sometimes reptiles. You can easily get feeder mice from most pet stores. Get some pinky/fuzzy mice that's the same width as the largest part of your snake. It will most likely get to 4-5 feet in length. If it bites, it's not poisonous. Depending on the size of the snake, it may not even draw blood if it bites. They are usually rather easy to tame out, keep picking it up, don't put it back in the cage when it bites, and eventually it'll figure out it can't harm you and you can't harm it.

As far as the gender goes, the best way to tell is to get it probed by the vet. You can sometimes tell by looking at the tail. If it takes a long time to taper off from the vent (anus) of the snake, it's most likely a male. If it's a short distance from the vent to the tip of the tail, it's most likely a female...though this is not a sure way to tell.

Tank- 20gallon long tank is best with locking screen lid

Heat mat- goes on one side of the tank, provides belly heat and is better than a heat lamp

UVB light- helps it make vitamin D3 to absorb calcium for its bones...gets left on 12-14 hrs a day

water bowl- goes on other side of tank than heat mat...deep enough for entire snake to fit, but not too deep to where it can drown

substrate-aspen shavings, newspaper, paper towel, or cage carpet is best

feeding cage- separate container to feed the snake in. If you feed it in its original cage, every time you reach in the cage, it may think of your hand as food and will be more likely to bite.

two thermometers- one for each side of the cage...lets you know if it's too hot or too cold

Leave wild things wild.

I'm not an expert on snakes, but I know that animals have adaptations to survive the winter. Please release it somewhere near the place you find it. It will be much better off there.

that my friend..is a young corn snake...if its not hurt leave it in the wild....if its hurt you migth want to take to a reptile vet...and when its ok relese it bak into the wild.

DUDE ITS A RAT SNAKE! GET IT THE F@CK AWAY FORM UR RATS!

• Watson
      5 years agoReport

not a rat snake it is a corn snake, a younge one

That is a cornsnake there is alot of care sheets in google

take good care of it