dawei asked in Cars & TransportationAircraft · 1 decade ago

About multi-engine commercial license?

I would like to ask a question about multiengine commercial license requirements.

I have 247 flight time (hold Single-engine PPL and IR) and 7hr Multiengine SIM-time in loggble AATD. I have met other requirements.

Some people told me that I could use 10 hours Sim time instead of 250. Some told me I could use 50 hours.

Confuse,

BTW (Part 61 School)

6 Answers

Relevance
  • RickH
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

The applicable FAR may be found at faa.gov->regulations and policies->current regulations->FAR 61.129i which says in part:

(i) Permitted credit for use of a flight simulator or flight training device. (1) Except as provided in paragraph (i)(2) of this section, an applicant who has not accomplished the training required by this section in a course conducted by a training center certificated under part 142 of this chapter may:

(i) Credit a maximum of 50 hours toward the total aeronautical experience requirements for an airplane or powered-lift rating, provided the aeronautical experience was obtained from an authorized instructor in a flight simulator or flight training device that represents that class of airplane or powered-lift category and type, if applicable, appropriate to the rating sought; and...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The rub comes where it says "that class of airplane". If you were seeking a Commercial Pilot Certificate with a Multiengine Land rating, you could count the 7 hours. Since you are seeking a Commercial Pilot Certificate with Single Engine Land rating, then you may NOT because the multiengine AATD does not represent the class (MEL/SEL) of aircraft in which you intend to get the certificate. So the answer is that you may count 0.

If you can get some time that is able to be logged in a ASEL simulator or training device, then you may count up to 50 hours toward the total time for Commercial ASEL.

How do I know that you are seeking ASEL instead of AMEL? Because, in order to apply for a Commercial with AMEL, you would need 5 hours of instrument training in a twin 61.129 b3(i), a two hour day VFR X-C in a twin (61.129b3(iii), and two hour night VFR X-C in a twin (61.129.b3(iv), 10 hours of solo in a twin or supervised PIC (61.129b4,...

There are innumerable problems when students start mixing time. There are cases where a Private Pilot could not take a Comm ASEL because some of his/her training time was in a twin, nor could he/she take the Comm AMEL check ride because some of the training time was in a single. Not fair, it would seem, but that is the way that it is.

None of this refers to additional ratings once you have a Commercial Pilot Certificate. For that, you would examine 61.63 which has virtually no time requirements.

Good Luck

• bevl78
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Get your commercial in a single, then add multi-engine commercial and instrument all in one check ride. There are no minimum M/E flight times required if you do it that way.

FAR 61.129(i)

(i) Permitted credit for use of a flight simulator or flight training device. (1) Except as provided in paragraph (i)(2) of this section, an applicant who has not accomplished the training required by this section in a course conducted by a training center certificated under part 142 of this chapter may:

(i) Credit a maximum of 50 hours toward the total aeronautical experience requirements for an airplane or powered-lift rating, provided the aeronautical experience was obtained from an authorized instructor in a flight simulator or flight training device that represents that class of airplane or powered-lift category and type, if applicable, appropriate to the rating sought; and

(ii) Credit a maximum of 25 hours toward the total aeronautical experience requirements of this section for a helicopter rating, provided the aeronautical experience was obtained from an authorized instructor in a flight simulator or flight training device that represents a helicopter and type, if applicable, appropriate to the rating sought.

So it's 50 hrs sim time IF in a single-engine. However, if you do your M/E training in a twin you CAN count that time towards your 250 total - as long as you meet the time stated in 61.129 as SINGLE-ENGINE airplane time, and the specific single-engine training flights (cross-country etc) the rest can be multi-engine if you wish. It would also count as 10 hrs complex for the requirements of this part.

Source(s): ex Part 141 Asst Chief Instructor
  • 3 years ago

i'm attempting to think of of any airline on the instant that even has a combat engineer. Is there one? given which you will have cpl and multi in under two hundred hours i've got faith you will choose alot greater flight time to additionally be seen for any co-pilot spot era. seven hundred to 800 Hours might get you into some company turbine plane in case you comprehend somebody. maximum airline captains have a minimum of 10- 15 years of journey and 1000's of hours.

• 1 decade ago

I'm deleting my answer, Rick did an excellent job answering your question.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Your question is about clear as mud. Please re-state. The mark of a professional pilot is clear, precise, concise, unambiguous communication.

• 1 decade ago

well not really you need a lot of flight hours

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.