Why is it important to have less variables in an experiment?

I am working on a lab report for school and I am stumped on a question regarding basic science knowledge. Easy points. PLEASE give me your input on this question. Anything is greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

Favorite Answer

Less variables means that there are less contributing factors to differences in the results of the experiment. Therefore it is easier to determine what causes the results when there are less variables.

Hi, in an experiment you are normally testing to see how one variable (the independent variable) causes another variable (the dependent variable) to change. If you have too many variables in one experiment you do not know the precise reasons for observing changes in your dependent variable. For example, if you are testing to see how temperature changes affects the rate of ice melting, you would not want to also change the pressure in the system (since pressure would affect the rate at which the ice would melt). You would only want one independent variable (temperature) and one independent (rate of ice melting). If you also changed the pressure you would not know whether it was the pressure changes or temperature changes that affected the ice melting. Hope that helped some.

Off the top of my head, because you want to be able to establish causation easily.

If you had 10 variables affecting one dependent variable, it is more difficult to figure out what is causing what.

And there is the possibility that the different 'variables' will interact with each other, etc.

tôi không biết nói tiếng anh