Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Does small doses of Frontline for big dogs work for small dogs?

I was looking on ebay for Frontline and saw this thing that had a kit where you could use the Frontline meant for the big dogs, just in smaller doses, for smaller dogs. It's really cheap, but I am kind of skeptical, it makes sense that it might work, but I just wanted to know if anyone else has tried it or knows about it.

I was just reading the reviews on the ebay thing and everyone really liked it, nobody seemed to have any problems.

Favorite Answer

Hi Megan,

I'll start this with I love my little Peke (Noodles) more than anything. I switch her from frontline to advantage every other month or so. Several people that work at a local vet and give me the advantage told me that they didn't see anything wrong buying on ebay, just make sure they are reputable sellers. I looked into it everywhere and it took me a couple weeks to decide but ultimately at the time money was key factor.

I ordered a frontline for small dogs. The packaging came in a small box with easy instructions and included a syringe and glass vial. I got 6 uses out of one order. Very easy to use and understand. My dog is under 15 lbs. Have had no problems and fleas are well under control as I have seen maybe one about 10 months.

If you can afford it you may feel more comfortable buying correct doses at a reliable store. I know I would just because frontline is chemical/poison in a sense that has no expiration on it. That means you could be buying some frontline that was stored in excessive temperatures for too many years somewhere. Would you feel comfortable buying baby formula from a stranger with no exp. date that could be 10 years old not knowing if the formula has changed? Also pay attention to the dose you provide. You wouldn't want to give a small dog a large dog dose as mentioned before do to poisoning.

I tried the ebay way due to funds because I had to and didn't regret it. I'm sure people would talk lot's if they had a bad experience with ill doggy by doing it. Mines super fine, flealess and happy.

Update to your response- I did the same thing and that's ultimately what helped me make my decision to purchase on ebay. Cheers!

Source(s): Noodles (my itty bitty in pic above), internet, vet, people, life and lot's of love :-)

Yes, but I would never ever buy a kit from ebay. I purchase Frontline from my vet OR www.drsfostersmith.com. Do not buy via ebay, as you cannot be sure if the product is legit. You will still save a ton of money buying elsewhere and using this method below. Apply the same concept, but do not buy the chemical from ebay.

The Frontline solution, no matter the size you buy, is the same chemical. You will need a cc or ml syringe to get the correct dosage. You can get this from your Walgreens Pharmacy for free. Because you have not put the size of hte dog I cannot do the math for you.

For example, for my two dogs who are both between 9-11 pounds, I buy the Frontline for dogs up to 132lbs [4.02 ml]. I only use .67 ml of the solution on each dog and I store the rest in a sealed vile - this is the same amt of solution that is in the Frontline Plus 1-22lb dog package.

My vet has approved this and I have been doing this for years, saves a ton of money! You MUST be VERY careful when doing the measurement. You can even explain to your vet that you need to be cost sensitive and they can show you this method as well.

It can cause chemical burns and irritation. Now, I don't think it can cause death but I'm not 100%. If you caused that dog any harm you need to bring it to the vet. It is an animal, it deserves to be looked after correctly and be treated right. You need to step up a be a good person even if this dog is not yours. Our duty is to take care of all animals, as we have made ourselves superior to them. Contact a vet if you notice any changes or strange behavior in the dog. By taking it to the vet you are doing the right thing, the moral thing. From the sounds of it, the dog could likely die.

Beware of that, I remember reading that some of the frontline and other flea treatments sold online were made in some other country and not the same * or something like that....anyway, if it is really cheap, it may be a fake product...just be careful.

Be very careful of using big doses on small dog. Alway ask a vet because even a small dose maybe too big for small dog which can result in chemical toxicity

• JOAN W

It is the same medication only in larger doses. If you don't buy the kit, you will need to buy the large tube, needle-less syringe & a vial. You will need to ask your vet for exact dosage amount per pet then use syringe for exact amount & sealed the remainder til next month.

Source(s): groomer

It is the same product, but you shouldn't try to divide up a dose from one of the tubes. Buy the correct dose for your dog's weight. I wouldn't buy from anybody online who doesn't require a vet's approval for prescription meds. Your vet won't okay you buying a larger dose than needed.

I'd consult the manufacturer, first.

And remember, any deal that seems to be too good to be true probably is.

Don't do it - it's not worth poisoning your dog just to try to save money.

Buy the little dog packs of frontline.

yes, it does they all work the same.