how long should a good quality mattress last?

My mattress is about to be 10 years old. It seems okay, but I don't sleep well (probably about issues beyond just the mattress). How do I know when to replace it?

Favorite Answer

Warranty is usually for 10 years on a standard mattress...

I do inspections for several retailers and mattress manufacturers when a customer has an issue with a mattress. In my experience the main issue people have with mattresses is that after 6 months or longer the mattress will develop body impressions, in other words, the mattress will sink way down on the top in several spots depending on where you sleep. The other thing that may occur is that the material that fills the top may shift around and cause a ridge or hump in the middle, this happens quite a bit on a king mattress where there are 2 people sleeping on it.

The mattresses that seem to have the most issues are pillow top mattresses, and especially any mattress that is marked as 'plush' or 'super plush'. These have very thick pillow tops on them and thus are prone to the impression issues. I would avoid those. Most mattresses that are a non-pillow top and marked as 'firm' or 'extra firm' generally hold up much better, as do most non-pillow top mattresses. Having said that though I would avoid Simmons mattresses marked as either a 'Euro top' or anything in the Simmons line that has 'Visco' in it as those tends to sink a lot as well. It doesn't matter who the manufacturer is nowadays as I see them all: Stearns and Foster, Simmons, Sealy, Serta, Spring-Air, etc.

The sales people will tell you that their high end mattresses don't have issues, but who do you want to believe; the sales person trying to make a hefty commission or the service tech who has seen problems with mattresses for over 10 years? I wouldn't go for a real expensive mattress either, Stearns and Foster used to be considered very high end, but they are owned by Sealy now, I see them a lot and you would just be paying for the name.

The only tops I have not seen much of are any of the Tempur-pedic mattresses or the Select-Comfort air beds.

Keep in mind that you get a 10 year warranty with a mattress, but the warranty will be voided if there are any stains on the mattress itself. Also, the various manufacturers will NOT consider the mattress defective unless it sinks down 1 1/2 inches or greater. You MUST have proper support for the mattress as well. Do not trust the store or the drivers who set up your bed to make sure everything is correct. If you get a queen or king mattress you need to have at least 3-4 slats under the mattress and the slats must have center legs to make sure the slats don't bow down. If an inspector comes out for an issue and finds improper support the warranty will be voided.

Remember, most manufacturers look for any little thing they can to get out of honoring a warranty. Sad, but true...

Good luck

A good quality mattress will last a long time, at least 5 years, most of the time, over 10 years. However, the quality of the mattress will obviously lessen over time. If you get a quality mattress like one of these highly rated ones: http://www.amazon.com/Matresses/b/?ie=UTF8&node=37... it should last you for a long time.

The time should think about replacing your mattress is when it starts to sag or when you're basically not having a good night's sleep anymore. Of course, it could be issues just beyond just the mattress so maybe sleep on another bed and see if it feels any better. If it does, time to buy a new mattress.

As for buying, I recommend checking out the mattresses on Amazon. They have an entire section just for mattresses. The good thing is you can see and read reviews to help you decide which one to buy. The prices are some of the cheapest you'll find as well. Here's the page...

Check the sewn in tag on the bottom of the mattress. It should tell you how many years it should last. If there is no tag on yours, go to a store that sells them and see if you can find one by the same company and see what their warranties are.

My mattress is 17 years old and as good as it was when they delivered it. Of course it was custom made by Holder Mattress Company to my specifications and they are a little pricey but I think, well worth it.

Do not buy a cheap mattress. It will have a butt print within a month and you will ache and hurt as long as you sleep on it. If you have to cut corners on something, do it on something else, and not the mattress.

To test the theory that it might be the mattress, sleep in another bed for a few days or on the couch, then return to the bed. If you sleep well in the other bed or on the couch, then it is probably the mattress.

Good luck. I know what it is to not be able to sleep too.

Source(s): Experience
  • Serena

10 years is usually the life expectancy of a regular mattress that has been treated well - rotating it or flipping it regularly, keeping it from getting wet, etc. If you are looking for a new mattress set, I'd consider either the Sleep Number Bed or a Tempur-pedic bed, both of which have a 20-year warranty.

http://www.articleclick.com/Article/Do-You-Need-A-... How do you know if you need a new mattress set?

http://ezinearticles.com/?Extending-The-Life-Of-Yo... how to extend the life of your mattress set (life expectancy 10 years)

Since it's been ten years, I, personally, would buy a new bed. It's important that you shop for quality, even though it will be more expensive. The saying "you get what you pay for" does apply to mattresses.

Source(s): I own a Sleep Number bed by Select Comfort, and I'll never go back to a regular mattress. It's helped both my husband (who has sleep apnea) and me (I have another sleep disorder) sleep more soundly, improving the efficacy of our treatment.

I've been sleeping on my mattress for 16 years. You can tell when its time to replace it when it starts to sag in teh middle. is filthy, or it has springs poking through when they shouldn't be.

6 years

A simple way of lasting longer in bed is to just relax your muscles more. Learn here https://tr.im/SQ63U

Normally you'll find that your muscles get more and more tense as you approach orgasm. When you notice this happening just allow your muscles to relax again. By consciously relaxing your muscles you can delay orgasm by several minutes.

The Diagnostic Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM IV) defines premature ejaculation as a persistent or recurrent ejaculation with minimal sexual stimulation before, on or shortly after penetration and before a person wishes. Wow, that’s not a sexy definition. Personally, I define it as you come quicker than you or your partner wants. Luckly this is a great solution for premature ejaculation https://tr.im/5f271

1000 years. smelly rats are good pets.

You must check out Jack Grave's "Ejaculation Guru" tutorial on how to stop premature ejaculation, check out his video here: http://www.ejaculationguru.link

It explains how to end premature ejaculation for good. It’s basically a blueprint on how to develop natural control over your ejaculation. It actually reprograms your ejaculatory reflex so that you last longer without even trying.

It involves a combination of techniques, learning knowledge, and following a specific approach that attacks premature ejaculation from all three angles; the physical, mental, and hormonal. I was able to cure my premature ejaculation problem in only 2 weeks and I never had a problem again.