Yahoo Fan asked in PetsCats · 1 decade ago

Does your cat sleep thru the night?

Cats sleep so much during the day time, how do they sleep thru the whole night? Does your cat sleep thru the whole night?

• Bob N
    Favorite Answer

First - domestic cats are not nocturnal. Some wild cats are semi-nocturnal but domestic cats are NOT nocturnal animals.

Nocturnal animals are inactive during the day and, as anyone with a cat knows, cats are quite active during the day - even if they seem to sleep a lot during day.

Some cats will sleep more during the day than at night because their human is gone all day, but they are not nocturnal.

As I have been typing this message, Murphy has thundered into the kitchen and jumped up on the refrigerator and then down at least four times. At least twice, Bailey, Murphy's brother, has been in his wake.

I've been online now for may be an hour and other cats have come and gone during the time - it is about 2:30 PM CST.

While many of our cats sleep with us at night, I'm pretty sure that most of them will get up, perhaps to eat or use the litter box or do other things that cats do, and then return to bed.

Sometimes I am up late at night (and early morning) and I observe the cats' behavior at night and they are not more active at night. Actually, after we have gone to bed, they are perhaps less active.

Some nights we will watch a movie before going to sleep and we will have several of our cats on the bed with us. When we turn out the lights, some stay on the bed and others get up.

Given the behavior of our cats, I would say that very few cats sleep through the night. They may sleep a great portion of the night but don't think they sleep all night.

Now - we have several cats and that is bound to modify the cats' behavior. That is, the behavior patterns of cats are no doubt modified if they are not the only cat in the house.

A cat who is the only cat in the house will only have the human(s) with whom to interact and that will very likely change the cat's sleeping pattern.

With more than one cat in the house, the cats now have the other cats with which to interact and this may change the sleep patterns of the cat.

• Adri

I am assuming mine does. We don't hear him during the night. He's not a lap cat, but once in a while we wake up with him in the middle of the night wanting to cuddle, which we never oppose to!

We set our alarm clocks about 10 mins before we actually have to be up, and as soon as he hears the 1st alarm go off though...then he won't leave us alone, since he knows chow time comes as soon as mommy gets outta bed!

I guess our cat just got used to our sleeping patterns. He's just a little over 2 yrs old now.

Yes, this is true:cats sleep alot.Although the amount of time spent snoozing depends on the cat's age and personality, felines spend an average of 13 to 16 hours each day "napping."

They're usually up during dawn and dusk(Mornings and late nights).

So,you're cats are most likely up when you're sleep or out of the house so, when you do see him/her they're napping:that might be why you think they're sleeping so much.

• m!m!

my cats dont sleep all night. they do sleep in the day . on and off. and at night they'll sleep and then be up between 4-5 am to wanna play. i asked my vet bout how much they should sleep and they said 14-16 hours a day.

Mine does the sleep for two hours play for an hour. She really likes to cuddle right when I go to sleep and right when I wake up. You can play with them for a few hours before night and they will sleep most of the night

Well last night my kittens Milo and Pepper slept with me all night but that's not always the case. Normally they sleep for about 3 hours then go and play at about 1:00 sleep more and then beg my dad for breakfast ^_^.

Source(s): My two kittens Milo & Pepper

Yes my kitty sleeps through the night because I play with her during the day! She always sleeps with me!

My older cat, Binnie, sleeps most of the night. She wakes up once or twice and wakes me up to pet her back to sleep. It's rather annoying.

My younger cat, Marble, wakes up numerous times through out the night and wakes me up so that I can play with her, normally fetch.

This is why I close my door and don't let them sleep with me at all as they are a nuisance at night and cause me to wake up late.

they sleep no problem day or night. my cats are hyper during the day, and sleep at night, with an occasional rest during the day. It is the hamsters that keep me up at night with that noisy wheel they constantly spin on while I sleep.

well when i used to own cats, they'd sleep through the night, but still take short naps through out the day. Cat naps, get it?