what's the difference between "lid" and "cap"?

what's the difference between "lid" and "cap"? i always feel confused when using them.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

A cap goes on a bottle or a tube. A lid goes on jars and other containers.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

Lid Cap

• 1 decade ago

Cap seems usually to be used for smaller containers, like toothpaste. I would say "lid" is the more general term, which means it always applies. Like, you can say a pen lid or a toothpaste lid, but you can also say "cap" if you want to be more specific. However, for something bigger, like a jar, you can't say "cap," but you can still say "lid." It's like the difference between "building" and "house." Something that is a house is (in most people's definitions) a building, but a building isn't always a house.

• Jan
    Lv 4
    5 years ago

great question madhavi:) yOU know though these words sound synonimous but still there lies a "deep" difference !! Happiness can be found of things which may not even be beneficial to our spiritual or psychological aspect like we may go out & have our favourite dish & clothes etc., we would feel happy. But satisfaction comes from a kind of achievent, if we get good grades in studies we would get a positive feeling that says "hard word paid off" now thats more beneficial isn't it ;p[ Now peace.... I think it depends on what attitude we adopt towads the "activities" we do for "happiness" or either "satisfaction", peace actually exist in our self, it just has to be found by us. A person of ignorance might feel peace while a hard worker could be strresed. It can be even oposite to that . So peace needs to found by us.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

lid

a cover for a container

http://www.macmillandictionary.com/dictionary/brit...

cap

a lid or part that fits over the top of something

http://www.macmillandictionary.com/dictionary/brit...

Cap is a more general word.

• 1 decade ago

to place a lid on something

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.