Irusj asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 decade ago

E-mail in Japanese to teacher?

I was wondering how one should write an email (with homework) to a Japanese teacher, because probably just like everything there are rules on how to do it. I have an idea how to but I don't want to be impolite or look like an idiot. It should be formal (of course). This is what I made, can somebody check it for me? (My keigo sucks D: )

OO先生

「名前」です。

O月O日の「Subject」の宿題をお送りします。

よろしくお願いします。

名前

and then a line and the homework.

Or, if I want to send it in an attachment, should I write it like this?

O月O日の「Subject]の宿題を添付ファイルでお送りします。

And would it be better if I wrote よろしくお願いいたします instead of よろしくお願いします ?

I see my teachers on a regular basis, so I don't think お元気でいらっしゃいますか。would be appropriate... am I right?

If there are better ways/other ways to do it, please teach me!

Thank you!

• Lutlam
    Favorite Answer

Very impressive. I felt like I was reading something written by a Japanese. Nothing to correct, hardly anything to add.

To answer your question about "よろしくお願いいたします" and "よろしくお願いします", either will do, though the former sounds even more polite.

Keep up the good work!!

Source(s): I'm a Japanese.

I think this is a very interesting question. It is on a level that I am not familiar with too, however. I know the form for writing letters from a book I got when I was in Japan. I think you are right that an email to your teacher should be somewhat formal. I am not just sure what the difference would be between a letter and an email.

I can tell you that formal letters (even not so formal ones) have set expressions and formalities. In a letter there is a kakidashi. This is like Dear Mr. Smith. Only sometimes all it says is "respectful greetings" 拝啓 would be an example of that. You might say that you are writing without knowing the proper fomalites. You know, that could hurt. I have seen that often in Japanese letters. Well, not that you don't know the formalities but that you are not using them. 遠慮しないで。。。

You know, I am thinking if there were so many little books on How to Write Letters nowadays there must be some books available on email manners?

Anyway a lot of keigo and polite langauge depends on your feelings. It reminds me of the movie Yakuza where Robert Mitchum and the Japanese actor are standing over the kanji michi 『道』 written in the cement. Mitchum's character wonders out loud if he has an obligation. The Japanese character replies that if he thinks he has an obligation then he has one.

So like questions like should you use the more polite yoroshiku onegai itashimasu? You know the answer.

To the question about should you inquire as to your teacher's health or not I think since you see him ever day that there must be some clever way to avoid inquiring. Like in a letter there are required parts one of which is where you address the weather situation. I think it is such a nice touch to have it as a formality. However, if you mean to leave it out you can start the letter with the kakidashi 前略 zenryaku. It means that you leave out such formality.

Anyway an email is not a letter so let's not get carried away. Anyhow, I am counting you getting a more informative letter from a Japanese native speaker. Good luck.

Speaking Japanese & Loving Japanese Culture!

• ?

Perfect! good wording, composition, format.

As you say お元気で .... is not neccessary in your case.

To add greeting like こんにちは in front of your name is better.

But no need to say good by!.

More in detail: Punctuations.

宿題を、お送りします。

宿題を、添付ファイルでお送りします。

^_^