is the hijab or (head covering) a religious or culture custom?

salaam to you all i been studying islam for a long time and i had a few questions if you don't mind , i read to translation's of the quran

" And say to the believing women that they cast down their looks and guard their private parts and do not display their ornaments except what appears there of, and let them wear their head-coverings over their bosoms, and not display their ornaments except to their husbands or their fathers, or the fathers of their husbands, or their sons, or the sons of their husbands, or their brothers, or their brothers' sons, or their sisters' sons, or their women, or those whom their right hands possess, or the male servants not having need (of women), or the children who have not attained knowledge of what is hidden of women; and let them not strike their feet so that what they hide of their ornaments may be known; [...] (Qur'an 24:31)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hijab (please read article) according to wikipeda is that a muslim women should cover from head to toe.

and another one says

[24:31] And tell the believing women to subdue their eyes, and maintain their chastity. They shall not reveal any parts of their bodies, except that which is necessary. They shall cover their chests, and shall not relax this code in the presence of other than their husbands, their fathers, the fathers of their husbands, their sons, the sons of their husbands, their brothers, the sons of their brothers, the sons of their sisters, other women, the male servants or employees whose sexual drive has been nullified, or the children who have not reached puberty. They shall not strike their feet when they walk in order to shake and reveal certain details of their bodies. All of you shall repent to GOD, O you believers, that you may succeed

http://www.submission.org/suras/sura24.html

thats why i ask this question,because i got a little confused thank all of u so much may allah guide us all may peace and grace be with you all ways salam

16 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Verification is everything in deciding on the truth of Islam when it comes to injunctions in matter of law and practices.

And pursue not that of which thou hast no knowledge; for every act of hearing, or of seeing or of (feeling in) the heart will be enquired into (on the Day of Reckoning). Quran 17:36

The visible words of the Quran cannot be overridden by anyone, given this background, when we analyze the Quranc injunctions on dress code we are left with no doubt as what should be the standard of modesty. we are also stuck with the flexibility and simplicity of the message.

The clearly visible message says Hijab is not obligatory but if it makes someone comfortable then wear it. Those who insist on it can stand on their head :) pun intended but will not be able to justify the "Hijab" (s) as worn by some Muslim women now days. The only injunction is the covering of breasts (literary the collar opening) for women and the use of an outer garment when in public.

The disturbing thing is when you see supposedly good Muslims practically bully and blackmail impressionable young girls into believing that first it is a command from God, which it is not, secondly to insist it is Sunnah, which is ridiculous since the Prophet Pbuh was a man and thirdly falsely equating a piece of cloth with virtue, once again which it is not.

If you are really interested in the detailed analysis of the Quranic verses on the issue, please go to my blog, its too lengthy to post here

http://lifecheat.blogspot.com/2009/07/dress-code-f...

Please find an excerpt from the full writeup

One cannot and should not draw conclusion from the verse Quran 24:31 that it merely identify what must be hidden in public without a clear focus on the all important relaxation aspect of the injunction, the relaxation must satisfy a comprehensive set of people as a group, this group is detailed, taking up more than half the length of the verse. It is a mistake to say, it is the face and the hands only or the entire body and then be dumbstruck when asked, what can I show to; both my husband and father in law simultaneously, for which I need a special injunction. There is no mention of degrees or implied degrees for the exact set of people; it is a black and white issue as far as the relaxation aspect goes. It is about a woman being able to relax in her own home.

Quran 33:59 has taken care of the body and perhaps the breast by the use of the words "adna" and "jalabeebihinna". But to ensure, as always when God wants us to do something specific or refrain from something specific God always spells it out in no ambiguous terms. Hence, dress injunction specific to covering the breasts is revealed in Quran 24:31, if the head or the face or any other part of the body were to be covered through these verses, God would have mentioned it specifically as always. Most conservative commentators have tried to focus on the incidental mention of "khimar" and "jilbab". They have than proceeded to try to define these terms to mean what they want it to mean without success. Needless to say, they have failed in making a case for "Hijab" and covering of the head and hair. It appears that the tactic of focusing on the incidentals was and is aimed at deliberately muddling the issue sufficiently, to draw attention away from the clear message of modesty in these Quranic verses.

The full analysis can be found in the link above. Thanks

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    5 years ago

Assholes - every one of you.

Hijab is not a part of your religion. You're all idiots.

God made the hijab? No - fools

Your arrogant barbaric men and clerics did that.

If a hijab supposedly saves your friggin marriage, why the **** are your dirty rotten muslim men raping young children in pakistan, as well as the UK?

You're all idiots.

Your men go around seeing women with make up and then dump their wives?

Why the hell do you have more than 1 wife then? Idiot!

The fact that you women are stupid enough to believe this bullshit makes it worse.

For all the advancements that other women have fought for, and your idiocy just puts them back a 100 years.

You all deserve to be shot.

If i had a nuclear arsenal. I'd pretty much wipe out ALL of UAE, Pakistan

You lot don't deserve to live.

Cos you dont wanna move forward and hold everyone back.

Fools

• 3 years ago

Hijab Religion

• Alex
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

"Actually, saying that ALL women in the West used head coverings before WWII seems rather inacurate, at least to me. "

I think I missed something here.... Who is saying that all women in the west used head coverings before ww2??

I'd say "rather inaccurate" is an understatement to say the least. It's no more true of the pre-ww2 west than it is of now. My grandmother's generation often put a head scarf on when they go out, but that's to stop their hair getting messed up and to keep them warm, not to protect their modesty.

In catholic churches women traditionally cover their head when they go to mass as a sign of respect, just as men take off their hats as a sign of respect, but again, it's not about protecting their modesty, and it's still done today by many people.

Very interesting question though - the answers are really interesting.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Hassan
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

In Islam Hijab is compulsory . Hijab involves complete body covering from head to toe expect face and hands up to wrist.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Obviously people will disagree on wheather it is necessary or not, so I'll try to give you an example. You decide:

A woman doesn't have hijab or walks around in the streets with strong make-up. A married man sees this woman and he loses his interest in his own wife and gets a divorce and his children lose their father as a result. How much sin do you think that hijab-less woman has committed by destrying a family?

That'

s the purpose of hijab. Reveal your beauty only to your immediate family and mahram people.

Source(s): Iranian Shi'a Muslim
  • 1 decade ago

Salaam.

Hijab or head covering is one of the law in Islam that all Muslim women must follow.Hijab is wore to cover our hair and breast.While purdah or face-coverer,it is a custom.Yes,we must cover our body from head to toe,except to these people;their husbands, their fathers, the fathers of their husbands, their sons, the sons of their husbands, their brothers, the sons of their brothers, the sons of their sisters, other women, the male servants or employees whose sexual drive has been nullified, or the children who have not reached puberty.

If you got any more question,just email me :) May Allah blessed you.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Covering the whole body including head is a religous custom...

Hijab or Abaya is a Cultural custom

• 1 decade ago

Actually, saying that ALL women in the West used head coverings before WWII seems rather inacurate, at least to me.

To my knowledge, customs and habits regarding that varied wildly from one place and time to another (Mexico, France) from one church or religion to other, from one person to other (different social standings and dynamics), from one situation to other (weddings). It wil be invalid in my eyes to affirm an ubiquitous and definitive word on it.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The Noble Qur'an - Al-Ahzab 33:59

O Prophet! Tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks (veils)* all over their bodies (i.e. screen themselves completely except the eyes or one eye to see the way). That will be better, that they should be known (as free respectable women) so as not to be annoyed. And Allah is Ever Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.