accused has the right to confront the witnesses against him or her?

i don't get it.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Rai A
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I'm assuming this means legally rather than spiritually...

Legally it's suggesting the person who's been accused of something has the right to face those making the accusations. I believe in the belief that someone might not be able to maintain a lie if they repeat it in front of their victim. Nice (if flawed) though...

Spiritually wise... Well all I can suggest if someone's who spiritually abusing/witnessing to someone their victim has the right to respond... Again nice (if flawed) thought.

Source(s): Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus
  • Amy
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

It's U.S. law designed to prevent people from making wild accusations and then hiding behind whatever barriers money could build.

If a girl accuses a man of rape he deserves to know who it is so he can prepare a defense. Not all accusations are accurate or truthful.

• 1 decade ago

wrong section. tho i wonder if there is a right one?

anyway, what is it you don't get? the way this right is exercised in usa and canada at least, is through cross examination in a court of law and the accused must be able to actually see the witness.

But I'm not sure what it is that you don't get. You don't agree with it maybe? You don't think it should be a right maybe? dunno. hopefully the above is the answer.

• Jim
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

If someone accuses you of a crime, you have a right to question them at your trial. (cross examine a witness for example)

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Witnesses in this case doesn't mean Jehovah's Witnesses. In this situation it means, someone who saw you do something illegal and reported it to the authorities.

• 1 decade ago

If you steal something like a watch or something and you get thrown in jail because of someone's testimony (someone saw you do it) you have a right to know and question that person.

• 1 decade ago

This is a Common Law principle in which people cannot make secret denunciations. They must do it openly, and be subject to challenge and rebuttal.

• 1 decade ago

All is innocent until proven guilty...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.