M R asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

How do you train a dog to find a person?

I'm not talking about the search and rescue type of finding, I'm referring to getting a dog to find a person by using their name. Let's say you want Fido to go find a guy named John, how do you get him to associate 'John' to the person and have the dog go to this person?

Recently we got our dog to go "Find Ball" but this was already an action he regularly did, we just started to attach a sound to it. I'm not sure how to get him to do it with individuals.

Favorite Answer

I have the same concept as “BYBS are small puppy mills” but with out the shaking of the treat cup. Start by giving “John” some treats, then sit or stand across from “John” with enough space between the both of you for dog to be in the middle facing you. Next you want to tell the dog to FIND JOHN, John then whispers, whistles, whatever just makes some kind of noise to get the dog to come to him, as soon as dog turns and goes to John you say GOOD DOG, BOY, GIRL, whatever just some kind of praise, and John gives the treat. Repeat until dog gets the hint! With every successful “FIND JOHN” session increase the distance between you until you are in different rooms and so on and so forth. This is going to take some time and practice, repetition is the key! Hope I helped!

Source(s): IF I WANTED TO TEACH MY DOG THIS TRICK, THIS IS HOW I WOULD DO IT!

There are a few real keys to dog training, whether you are trying to train your dog to come when called, sit, stop barking or any other behavior. Understanding their importance is critical to achieving rapid results that are long lasting and help develop the bond between you and your dog. Read more here https://tr.im/0U29A

The first is simple; you must win your dogs mind. If you don’t achieve this first then you will be struggling the all the way. When I talk about winning your dogs mind what I really mean is that your dog looks to you for all the decisions. Before you do anything else watch one of the amazing video sites that show you the 5 Golden rules to establishing yourself as the pack leader. If you aren’t putting these in place then you are setting yourself up to fail. Just at the crucial point where you really want your dog to listen they will go and do their own thing. For sure your dog may play ball occasionally or even most of the time, you may even have a dog that is obedient 99% of the time, however if you want a dog who always listens to you and does as you ask then you need to win your dogs mind.

The second key to success is to motivate your dog. It is really important that you discover what it is that your dog enjoys both in terms of exercise and play but also in terms of a reward. If you can make the experience enjoyable then you will both achieve more and look forward to training.

Some dogs love to fetch, others love agility, and other dogs simply love obedience training, or swimming out into water and retrieve. At least to start with find out what your dogs love is and help them develop this, what I am saying is work with your dog. The other point to recognize is to make training enjoyable reward your dog.

The owner of the dog needs to know how to "operate" the dog, same way you can get into a car that's in perfect running order but if you don't know how to drive you won't have much luck making the car go anywhere. If the owner doesn't know how to maintain the training, the dog will soon become untrained again. Read more here https://tr.im/trainanydog

People seem to think that once a dog is trained, that's it. Not true. You must reinforce the dog's training every single day in some way. It's best if the owner and the dog go together to get trained. As a professional trainer once said to me "We can train any dog in 2 days. It takes longer to train the owners

• Lizzie

It would take too much space for me to explain it well enough and in detail here so I will recommend the Sirius Puppy Training DVD to you. It shows as well as tells you exactly how to teach a dog to find a person by name. You can buy it at Dogwise, http://www.dogwise.com/

you first need to train the dog to come to a treat cup... get a cup to keep treats in it, shake it, then give your dog the treat.. you want the dog to associate that sound with a goodie.. so that your dog will come running when the cup is shook.

Now, in the same room, have the person (we shall call him John) hold the cup. Tell the dog "Find John" on cue, John should shake the cup, then reward the dog for coming to him. Eventually you will work with this by having John go into another room, same concept, "Find John" .. John shakes cup then rewards dog for coming.

Your next step is to work on it, WITHOUT shaking the cup.. do it in the same room again, reward dog for going to John.

Its going to take time to teach it.. but it can be done.

1

Source(s): Dog and Puppy Training http://dogtrainingclasses.emuy.info/?4h07

I think you would need a pretty smart dog man! LOL

My husband and I refer to each other as "Daddy" and "Mommy" when talking to our cats. They know, from repetition, who is who. All training, for all animals is just lots and lots of repetition.