What causes Insomnia?

I have been having problems getting to sleep over the past 3-4 days, I go to bed around 1am and can never get to sleep. I am only able to get to sleep if I take Tylenol PM AND Alteril (somnia latoril) If I am lucky. I went to bed last night at 1:30am and didn't get to sleep at all and ended up giving up and getting out of bed at 8:30am.

I'm only 14 and I need my sleep, should I be worried about this? Is it worth going to the doctor about? And if so, which doctor should I visit?

Is it another problem that is causing the insomnia? Is there a temporary solution that I can use to get to sleep?

If someone could please give me an answer as soon as they can, it is much appreciated.

Favorite Answer

Insomnia is a symptom, not a stand-alone diagnosis or a disease, of any of several sleep disorders.

From my experience, insomnia occurs when a person is either depressed or very worried. My mother told me when I was little and didn't want to go to bed, to clear my mind of all thoughts and then I will fall asleep.

I'm 18 now, and the mind clearing doesn't work anymore. I too have some kind of a sleep disorder and I know how difficult it is to convince your brain that everything is normal and it should rest.

Btw, if you don't sleep from 1 am to 8 am, thn when do you sleep? I presume you do sleep sometime...

1

Source(s): Insomnia Treatment http://renditl.info/StopInsomniaForEver

Usually it's stress, like people have said here. Maybe you have too much pressure in your life. If this is the case, you need to learn how to unwind before bed. You need to set a routine for every night that is the same. I found that reading in bed for about an hour every night does the trick. It's quiet, I'm lying down, my mind isn't on my problems...it works. Another reason could be too much caffeine. Caffeine is in sodas, coffee, tea, chocolate, energy drinks, and diet pills. If you're going to have any of these, try quitting them several hours before bedtime. Another reason you might not sleep is if you have vigorous exercise too soon before bed. If you're working out in the evening, try switching it to another time. Finally, there are several medical conditions that can cause insomnia. Diabetes is one of them. If you've really done everything you can to relax at night and you just can't sleep, tell your doctor. He might prescribe a sleep aid, but ask him to do some medical tests for common diseases that could be causing your insomnia. Good luck!

• haley

3 Steps to Cure Insomnia Forever!

• James

There are two different classifications of insomnia, onset insomnia (trouble falling asleep, which sounds like the case here) and maintenance insomnia (trouble staying asleep).

Onset insomnia is generally caused by mental conditions such as anxiety, depression, or stress. Additionally, a poor diet can cause or worsen onset insomnia.

Don't ever take the sleeping pills route!!

1. They will damage your liver big time and you can get into serious health problems.

2. You will get hooked up on them and you won't be able to have a normal life any more if you don't take your pills everyday.

The sleeping pills industry is damaging our health by capitalizing on our ignorance, and by distracting people from effective and natural ways to deal with this problem. I had been taking prescription sleep medications [Ambien] for over 5 years. It stopped working and I simply took more. Still did not work. Nights were very difficult - medication put me to sleep but I would wake up after 2–3 hours with a strong sympathetic response (fast pulse, pounding heartbeat, wide awake alert). It was a very difficult cycle to break. I was really in bad shape due to lack of sleep.

After years of struggling I was able to cure my insomnia naturally and pretty fast. I followed the Sleep Tracks sleep optimization program, here is their official web -site if you want to take a look: http://www.insomniacure.net/

Ohhh..and Good Luck!

Look it up on a medical website for different symptoms and for recommendations.

A tip I recommend is:

If you're going to stay up so late, (till 8:30 am) I'd recommend you stay up the whole day and at around 9 till -11 00 pm, go to sleep.

Soon you'll be in a good sleeping schedule

Insomnia hits hardest when we can't get to sleep.