abc d asked in Business & FinanceInsurance · 1 decade ago

FEMA has come out with new Flood Zone maps.?

My property was not in a flood zone in the past, but is according the the September 2009 maps, ACCORDING TO THE BANK. Where can I get a copy of the new maps? The property is still under mortgage, so we would have to purchase flood insurance that had previously not been required. What can I do? Are there any grandfather clauses that would help me?

Favorite Answer

You can view the FEMA maps online or at your city/county government offices. There are no "grandfather clauses" pertaining to flood insurance. However, there is a process to obtain a FEMA exclusion if your house is elevated above the FEMA map's Base Flood Elevation (it's called a Letter of Map Amendment - LOMA).

Your situation is not unusual when new community Flood Insurance Rate Maps are issued.

Mandatory Requirements

Homes and businesses with mortgages from federally regulated or insured lenders in high-risk flood areas are required to have flood insurance. While flood insurance is not federally required if you live in a moderate-to-low risk flood area, it is still available and strongly recommended.

This is info from the 2nd site I listed.

• madel

particular. California might have the skill to be rebuilt without lot of the themes dealing with the South. hearth is what's the is doing the wear in California. no longer basically is the South having to rebuilt, the flood administration structures might desire to be fastened first, then you definately've a project of mould and different wellness factors that would desire to be addressed in the past substantial rebuilding may well be performed. then you definately've the Southern people who've misplaced their properties sitting around waiting on somebody else to restoration, restoration, or supply them a clean abode, even tho maximum did no longer have components proprietors coverage. people who did have coverage are properly forward interior the rebuilding of their properties and are actively engaged on rebuilding. So if the section flooded by Katrina is to be rebuild in the past the section being destroyed by hearth in California, then the people who the place flood might desire to get off their butts and get busy helping and cease waiting on a hand out. And in the past all of us starts up on me..i'm FROM LOUISIANA and suffered from Katrina besides. I purely did no longer sit down around waiting and wanting others to pay my way.