Kerstine asked in Beauty & StyleMakeup · 1 decade ago

Why are E.L.F. brushes so cheap compared to other brushes which are $10.00 or more?

eyeslipsface.com compared to ULTA, MAC, smashbox, NARS, and others

Favorite Answer

E.L.F cosmetics are really cheap and most of their stuff is under a dollar. I absolutely recommend the brushes though, most of them work great and in the end you have nothing to lose because they're so cheap! Ulta, MAC and Sephora are high makeup brands so most of their brushes will be more expensive. MAC and Sephora also have many professional brushes, so that's why the cost is higher.

There are several things that can effect the price of the brush, and most affect the quality.

hair-fibers

Animal hair brushes tend to cost more than synthetic hair brushes, since animals can only grow so much, and if it's a cruelty-free company, you can only collect the hair every so often. Some synthetic brushes just plain suck, and can't grab color at all. You'd want to look for takalon fibers. Keep in mind that it being animal hair doesn't mean it's necessarily good, and synthetic doesn't necessarily mean crappy. Feel the brushes.

Manufacturing materials and quality.

Brands that use cheaper glue, or a more automated manufacturing process tend to be cheaper. Same with the metal. Then, there's also how much a company bothers. If you have a flat ferrule (the part that connects the bristles to the handle) on a kabuki brush, something's not right, there...

Durability

If you have the aforementioned cheap glue, then your brush might be fine for a while, then completely fall apart later on. If you have cheap bristles, they might start to fray or kink as you continue using the brush. Your brush could even start to rust or get moldy if it's not been properly sealed and treated! Most people want rushes that can last a few years without any issue, and can survive being stuffed into a makeup bag a few times.

Shape

The shape of the brush is very important, especially the ease of maintaining that shape. It should be easy to coax your brush back into its proper shape after a wash. The contour of the brush should also be very well thought out and cut. Blunts should be blunt, curves should be curved. It should smoothly transition from one shape to another. There's also bristle density. If your bristles are too dense or too sparse, the brush will probably be either too hard or soft, and leave streaks.

Color lifting/depositing

This is self explanatory. If a brush can't pick up and deposit color, there's no point to having it.

With that wall of text out of the way, I personally find that E.L.F. brushes tend not to deposit color all to well for me, and lack in durability. While they are something that I do keep around as back ups, they're by no means my first choice.

• L

i'd have to agree with marketing.

elf may think that by reducing the prices of their items dramatically will attract potential buyers, i think with the first lot of elf products, they did bring justice to price but didn't catch up on the quality.

in fact with a lot of the brand name products like MAC, nars, smashbox, benefit etc, through wholesale or manufacturer the item itself is probably only worth $1-$7/piece. And depending on how big the brand is, they will price each item accordingly. I've done a fair bit of cosmetic sales for international companies so I know for a fact that through import a MAC eyeshadow is worth no more than $4 while they sell it for $20 or more. same principle goes with chanel.

elf's inital strategy was probably to push quantity instead of quality. (of course even in manufactures quality cosmetics will cost more than crappy ones.) because they are newly established, this was probably the ample procedure to gain them potential customers. elf's new studio-line probably would win over a lot of buyers.

They may have used the same factory to produce their blushes as NARS.. hence the similarity in packaging.

I haven't tried M.A.C. or Sigma, but I do really like ELF brushes. Some of their $1 face brushes aren't as good (they don't pick up powder very well), but the foundation brushes are a great quality and I LOVE their eyeshadow and liner brushes. They have some great $3 brushes, although I don't like their fan brush. It is just too poor of quality, and I would recommend getting one from Sephora. Good luck!

they save a lot of money by not packaging in pretty things and also by manufacturing their products in china.

it's cheap quality so the face brushes on the dollar line bleed and shed and dont feel soft...but their eye brushes are good. and the studio line has some decent brushes...but mine came a little crooked. oh well.

i like ecotools better, you dont have to pay for shipping, higher quality and softer. plus if you get the sets it's like 2 dollars a brush or less.

The way they are made, how they are sold, marketing tactics, using "cheap" quality products..

Not all brushes are made the same. With some brushes you are paying for actual quality, whereas others you are paying for a brand name *cough*MAC*cough*. Others can sell it for cheaper because they are selling it through themselves as opposed to through other stores.

What you choose to use is up to you.

1

Source(s): Access over 8,000 genuine wholesale http://wholesaledirectories.latis.info/?434U

marketing strategies.