(o_o)
Lv 4
(o_o) asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationHunting · 1 decade ago

Is it possible to (legally) buy a gun for under $300?

15 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

absolutely.

What kind of gun are you looking for?

Deer/Elk rifle? Stevens 200 at the local Gander Mountain is going for $299.99 some for $315.99 One of those in 270 winchester would be a good gun. Another option that is better for $50 more is the Marlin XL7. It is all black which I like better but is personal taste, has a superior trigger, has a MUCH better recoil pad, a superior trigger (but neither one is great) and a scope base.

NOTE: Combo rifle+scope pacakges have absolute junk for scopes. I'd pass on those, or if you do but it, replace that scope ASAP. If you come across any remington 710s and 715s, pass on those, they are junk, but Remington 770s are good, Remington 798s and 700s are exellent.

Of course, if you go Military Surplus, you can get a Mosin Nagant for $100...and plop it into a new hunter style synthetic stock for oh, $75

For a Rabbit or Squirrel rifle, you can definately get a good gun for well under $300. $200 for a Ruger 10/22 and you will have the most common rifle out there, or $150 for a Marlin Model 60...just as good, a Remington 597 for $220 or so is another excellent choice. All 3 semiautomatics

For a shotgun good for duck hunting, pheasant, and deer with slugs, the cheapest decent one is gong to be the Maverick 88 for $250, for an even $300 you can get a Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 Express, they are basically the Coke and Pepsi of the shotgun world. Very common, very good. All 3 also have 'home defense' configurations for the same basic price.

For handguns, the cheapest is Hi Point for about $150, but they are absolute junk, expect it to jam a lot. The best economy pistol IMHO is the Bersa Thunder 380, it is a copy of the Walther PPK James Bond made famous (during WW 2 the blueprints for the Walther guns fell into allied hands and got spread all over....the Bersa is just as good as the walther except the finish isn't as fancy) Again, surplus is a good option, the CZ 83 is a great buy for about $200-250, a small hard hitting solidly built pistol. Finally, Bud' Gunshop, an online seller, is offering the Smith and Wesson Sigma in 9mm for 299.99, but also has a $50 rebate, so 249.99 Kel-Tec's little P11 goes for just under $300 and is a compact powerhouse.

• 1 decade ago

Yes, for the most part and depending on your state laws you should be able to buy a legal firearm for 300.00 or less. Shotguns for example can be had in this price range. Now handguns on the other hand can be tricky. They make some cheap handguns that is less than quality. These are sometimes called Saturday Night Specials. I highly suggest doing my research when buying a a firearm but especially a cheap hand gun.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

If your of legal age, and all that than sure you can find a gun under $300.

Source(s): me gun owner.
  • Gene S
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

You can get one for dirt cheap, if you get a seriously good deal, legally. Especially if it a used one. But on the other hand, you will encounter a lot of junk, too. You will have to know what you are looking for, and the tone of your question tells me that you are lacking in experience and overall knowledge in the firearms department. I'm not being critical here, but you definitely need some guidance in this area. get someone you can trust that has the expertise to guide you on this. Otherwise, you will spend money on something that is not suited to your needs , or even get ripped off. Rifles and shotguns are usually lower on the price range,( not that you CAN'T spend big bucks on them), but pistols the prices can go up very quickly, easily into the $700-$800 range for the better grade of hardware.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • ERIC
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

yes, if you're looking for new guns most likely there will be something to be desired in the quality department, with the exception of .22's which there are plenty of great ones out there for around or a little under $300

your best bet is to look for a used one. There's plenty out there that have nothing wrong with them at a price to fit your budget that someone either decided to trade in for something different or sold because they needed the money.

this is about as much help as I can give to such a generic question

• 1 decade ago

There are brand name guns in most all categories under $300. What is it you are looking for?

Some can even be found used under $100.

Dave

Edit- would the keyboard commando who gave this a thumbs down please tell me what about my answer is wrong.

• 1 decade ago

of course man. A lot of shotguns can be bought under that price. my 40 s&w Sigma was a little bit under 300. it was used though. it's in good condition though. Depending on the retailer, you might need to clean it yourself but yeah.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

If your 18, you can buy any long gun and if your 21 you can buy any handgun.

The cost of the gun depends on how much your willing to pay for one.

Remember, you get what you pay for and if something sounds too good to be true, it usually is.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

sure, there are a lot of brand new guns for under $300. what type are you looking for?

• Reb
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

yes, they ain't exactly good quality but there are plenty of guns that are well below 300 bucks that you can purchase legally like a Raven Arms P25, any Hi-Point pistol, any single shot 12 ga. plus you'll be able to find new bolt action and some nice used lever actions for around 250 to 300. just to name a few of your options.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.