Started brewing my first batch of beer and I just noticed that the airlock has lost some water, what happened?

Favorite Answer

I am new to home brewing but it's my understanding that water loss from airlocks is entirely common and nothing to be concerned about. Just top-up the water if it ever gets too low. If you've done everything correctly it's unlikely that the water has gone back into your wort, it's much more likely to have evaporated. Just ensure your airlock doesn't dry completely or It'll allow unwanted air into the brewing liquid.

Message me and let me know what you meant by "lost some water."

If you lost it back into the fermenting vessel (suck back), that would mean that the Wort was warmer than the ambient temperature when you put the airlock on. As it cooled, it created a vacuum and sucked back some of the water. This will correct itself as CO2 builds up and pushes through when fermentation begins.

If you lost it through the top of the airlock, you may have had it overfilled.

Source(s): I am a homebrewer