Do I have ADD or am I just a sped?

When I was in math class I could never understand what was being taught. I had to just copy everything off the chalkboard and then I would figure it out on my own afterwards. How come I was smart enough to basically teach myself but I wasn't smart enough to learn it from the teacher. The weird thing is, I did better than my class mates. It's like I am slightly above average intelligence but a very slow learner, or is that a complete contradiction?

Favorite Answer

That's not a complete contradiction. I feel like I'm right there with you. It could be ADD (that's my case) or it could be another learning disability. Or it could just be that your math teacher doesn't fit with your learning style. If you feel you need to be tested, talk to your school counselor about it; generally in the public school system there is free testing for ADD and learning disabilities.

BTW, what's a "sped"?

You don't have ADD. I agree with the other answer. Perhaps, your teacher's teaching style doesn't fit your learning style. Or it's the way that the teacher talks slowly. Maybe there are things that seem more important at the moment? Anyone in the class interest you? Sometimes it's the little things and then we may think that we have an illness.... not quite, not quite.

Everybody learns differently. Some are auditory learners, some learn visually and others by manipulation. Perhaps you are not being taught in a way that appeals to your mental tendencies.