Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthGeneral Health CareOther - General Health Care · 1 decade ago

Lung Cleanse After Smoking?

I am 25 yrs old and have smoked for about 9 years. I just quit a couple of days ago because my asthma was starting to get worse. My grandmother died of lung cancer from smoking and I don't want to go through what she did. Now that I quit is there any way to cleanse the lungs of some of the damage I have already done to them? I just really want to turn my whole life around and get healthy again.

This is off topic but I also wanted to ask if I should get the swine flu vaccine this year since I have asthma and I have a 3 year old son too.

Just try to avoid other things that will damage your lungs (second hand smoke, fumes from cleaning products, gasoline, solvents, smog, etc.) as much as you can. Adding antioxidant supplements may help some, but the biggest help is time. Evidence shows that lung damage starts to repair within 6 to 8 months and is almost completely reversed within 5 to 7 years, so just hang in there and you will overcome the damage.

Congratulations on your new life.

Also, the flu shot is probably a good idea, since your respiratory system is compromised, but your doctor is really the one to ask about that.