How can I write down a video idea?

I love film making. I have made a few short videos, but they were all improv. I get ideas daily for video ideas, but I can's shoot them write away. I wanted to know how to write down the ideas. Not exactly a script, just the idea. I know it sounds stupid, but I don't know how to write my thoughts down. If you know ways I can do this, please let me know.

Thank You

Favorite Answer

Hi, I think I know what you are talking about (fingers crossed) and I think I have your solution. This is what I'd do. Do it like the pro's do,..make a story board! I'm sure you know what that is, but I'll pertend you don't. Draw a starting square on the piece of paper you are saving it on, That's your frame. (size of frame depends on how long your videos are going to be, and amount, how long) Draw a reference drawing of what would be in that frame of your video and a corresponding description (or dialog) under the frame. Now, I'm not suggesting that you do each frame in detail. Just the first frame, key events frames that you want to doccument throughout, and your end frame. I think that would be much shorter than writing a script? I am a graphic designer, so I always think in picture references. I know that is the way they start comic books, and I think they use them for movie ideas too. I really hope this helped, and we were on the same page! Yeah,.I know, bad pun. ~D~

Source(s): Degree in Graphic Communication Experience in the field
  • Sir

In order not to forget any of your ideas you could use the progression of a Synopsis first, which is a one paragraph description of the basic video. Then when time permits proceed to a Treatment which is one paragraph per scene describing everything we see without dialog. Then comes the Script which comes directly from the Treatment while adding what we hear. Then the Storyboard puts together the Script with the camera angles and movements. This may seem a little rigid for someone who has worked mostly from improv, but there is still room for inspiration and improv after all the planning. There are great books that spell out the details of this outline and if you're serious you'll study the books and your favorite films.

Visual artists commonly use a series of drawings to record their ideas, it's called a story board. So you either use words or drawings or both.