? asked in Family & RelationshipsWeddings · 1 decade ago

How much does a wedding cost?

Ok well im gonna be askin my gf to marry me and I already know shes gonna say yes. But how much does a normal wedding cost? Not looking for anything fancy. I know shes gonna want it in a church or outside. Nothing extream just family there and food and stuff.

Favorite Answer

dont worry about it, the girls family is supposed to pay for the wedding haha its true

There are too many variables to clearly answer your question:

Where will the wedding be - as in city/state? A New York City Wedding, nothing fancy, just family & food will be far more costly than a wedding in Idaho (and probably a quite fancy wedding, too).

How many people will be there? Guests multiply your costs. Example: A $50 dinner x 100 guests = $5k where a $50 x 300 guests = $15k.

Within your city/state, where will the wedding be? Renting a hall and making your own food is cheaper than a hotel or reception hall who does everything for you. Some people have summer weddings and rent the pavilion in their local park for $50 and have a wedding there. Will your grandparents let you use their huge beautiful property? Then you have no rental fees.

Is your fiance going to be budget-conscious and get an affordable dress or does she dream of going to Kleinfeld's in New York and getting a $5,000 (or more) designer dress?

The cost of a wedding will vary widely based on location. A wedding in New York City will cost a lot more than a wedding in rural Georgia for example. To get a more accurate idea of how much a wedding will cost, I would suggest you go to this website: http://www.costofwedding.com/ It gives you a break down of every part of a wedding as far as price goes and it does this by zip code.

Just asking people here, you'll get their costs from many areas of the country or even the world. costofwedding.com will give you an average for your area.

Source(s): married 7-11-09

It really depends on the number of guests-food and beverages is where you really run up costs in my opinion. If it weren't for my giant family, I'd be able to get my wedding budget well under 3000.

it depends on what you want to do. You can have a very small intimate for 2500... but it really depends on guest count and expectations

Average right now is about $20,000.

around 5000 ... if you keep it intimate and small.