Do you think Pres. Barack Obama deserved to win the Nobel Peace Prize? Why or why not?

The world was divided after the shock award of the Nobel Peace Prize to President Barack Obama, with some calling it a "victory" and others condemning it. What are your thoughts on Pres. Obama's Nobel prize?

28 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

For his putting emphasis on much needed cooperation between the Muslim world and the West and, more importantly, abandoning the unilateral policies and mindset of his predecessor that has brought this country to near ruin, yes. Before, nobody had any idea what the word diplomacy meant. That is why Obama's step in the direction of negotiation and recognizing that the enemy is also a human being will lay out the peace we need.

It is for that reason I believe the Committee rightfully nominated him. Whether he will live up to the prestige that prize brings and keep his promises, it is far too soon to tell.

• 1 decade ago

No! President Obama has not enacted nor completed anything of substance as yet. That's not to say the US President is not capable of doing something in the future. All the promises and expressions of what he would like to see the world change to are thoughts, hopes and dreams shared by most people. Some time back The Nobel Prize Committee did thorough and methodical study prior to selecting a winner for this award. Much of their study was based upon the winner's actual success and or physical contribution leading to a successful completion. Over the last 40 years or so the Panel's in- depth study and research seems to be sliding. I'm surprised the Nobel Peace Prize Committee would make this current selection. Media suggests that Europeans wanted to honor the U.S. President'. Alfred Nobel is probably scratching his head over this one.

Source(s): Experience through Living way too long.
  • 1 decade ago

Barack Obama's bagging of the most powerful position in the whole world i.e. being POTUS is way much more important than bagging a Nobel Peace Prize. The Nobel laureate is one of the highly-looked-up-to awards but being POTUS is the ultimate.

• 1 decade ago

The Nobel Committee have their standards/guidelines for awarding prizes in all categories. They should be allowed such latitude. What do I think? Yes, because even just trying to change the paradigm that USA is above nuclear non-proliferation and being open to dialogues with all ideologies are step towards attaining world peace. Despite all the wishes of all beauty queens, world peace has eluded us. Taking a step is deserving of recognition. Unfortunately, not all who maybe doing steps towards the same can get recognized, but that is a fact of life.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

No. Peace -- the kind attained through intense struggle at the cost of giving up one's rights, one's freedom or even one's life -- comes at a very high price. We had the likes of Mohandas Gandhi, who set a brilliant example of passive resistance against imperialistic rule and thereby established independence in India. Or, Jose Rizal who fought the colonizers in the Philippines with his creative, biting pen and whose martyrdom at their hands led thousands to oppose tyranny. And so many other heroes (e.g., Nelson Mandela) and heroines (e.g., Aung San Suu Kyi), who performed extraordinary deeds that benefit so many today.

That does not mean, however, that Obama has not done or is not doing something worthwhile toward attaining peace in the community of nations. He is definitely a force -- or, at least, he holds enough power -- to bring about worldwide peace. I hope he does eventually. But an award like the Nobel Prize, by its very nature, must stand on two strong foundations: that of professional, intellectual or creative excellence exhibited by the recipient and that of great personal sacrifice involved in the work cited for honors. As it looks, Obama's Nobel Prize still rests on two hollow pedestals.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I'm gonna have my name changed and see if i can also win a nobel peace prize. Or should I just wait for the Nobel Peace Committee to lose their influence and be ignored?

Obama is just a phenomenon and will die out later.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I have great confidence to the Nobel Prize Committee. Decision of the judges is final. Why make so much fuss about it. Obama is a great man. And his becoming the first black U.S President is not by chance either. I cannot understand his critics too. But i think they are also needed to keep things in balance. Still, i think he deserves the award. Congratulations to President Obama - elen s. , philippines

• 1 decade ago

No, what does Obama accomplish and done at this momemt in time, none . . . To much talk, talk, talk . . . no action!!! I don't believe he deserves the Nobel Prize and it is a disgarse to the body. There are more deserving person to accept that award who have done more to the world and accomplish a lot, not Obama who has no credibility and accendancy to accept one. It is a desgrace and a mockery to the prestigious and respectable NOBEL PEACE organization . . .

• 1 decade ago

Everybody deserves to get a Nobel Prize for peace. Obama's symbolism being the first balck US president, his overtures for peace and reconciliation, his genuine desire to make good his social commitment, the strength of his will and personality to make a sincere difference...i agree. all of us deserve a Nobel Peace prize. who wants war anyway? even those who kill for no reason..because if not for them people will not be thinking of a stop to violence and war.

try offering a Nobel Peace Prize to Osama Bin Laden...he should be ashamed if he doesnt deserve it.he might just stop his terrorism activities...also give a Nobel Peace prize to all the criminals...they might just change for the better.....

• 1 decade ago

I think that it was good that he made a step towards peace. But he has to prove himself and continue to make decisions for peace to happen even after he receives his Nobel Peace Prize. If he does that, then he is really deserving.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.