Who makes the best oil for a '99 Toyota Tacoma?

• Jay601
    Favorite Answer

Go with a high mileage conventional oil. I use Castrol High Mileage 5W30 in my 98 Tacoma. Once you start using synthetic, you'll have to keep using it. Also be sure to keep your plugs changed regularly. Oh yeah, I take my used oil to Autozone. Walmart accepts it to.

There is no such thing as "best oil".

What do you want an oil to do for you? Max protection? Long drain intervals? Low price? Improve gas mileage?

Synthetics last longer and protect better but they are a lot more expensive than conventional oils.

Stick with the top quality name brand motor oils in the proper grade (prolly 5W-30 for your truck), change it by 5000 miles or so, and you will be fine. No need to drop $10 a quart on Amsoil or Redline unless you have a specific need for a particular oil.

I would use a high-quality API SM/CF-rated 5W-30 for your Toyota Tacoma. 5W-30 is the correct weight for both 4-cylinder engines and the 6-cylinder engine that are available for your Tacoma. If you want a recommendation, I would go with Amsoil 5W-30. You CAN go back to petroleum after using synthetic motor oil, but after using Amsoil, you may not want to go back to petroleum.