Is programming hard to learn?

Is it harder to learn programming than computer hardware the A+ ?? Some one was saying the A+ is harder to learn than programming.

And if you know very little of the A+ will programming help you understand how OS and hardware /software work? I have some one who wants do do programming but does not really understand much about the hardware and software and how the OS works.

Does not understand drivers, BIOS , CMOS ,shell, kernal or registry so on. Will learning programming help.

Or do you need to understand the hardware first? What is harder to laern?

Favorite Answer

It largely depends on what kind of programming.

If you already know some programming, it'll certainly make undestanding things like memory addresses a lot easier. I think most people who do A+ have programmed a little bit first, but it's not a set-in-stone rule.

There are many different "programming languages," each with their own uses and difficulty levels. Languages like BASIC, Logo, TI-BASIC (for graphing calculators), etc. are easier programming languages to learn. However, what you can do with them is more limited. You couldn't make a complicated 3D game in TI-BASIC, or a Web browser in most versions of Logo. Those languages just aren't powerful enough.

Harder programming languages like C, C++, Java, C#, etc. are able to do just about anything (they're what people use to write large commercial programs like Microsoft Word and World of Warcraft). However, they often take YEARS to get good at because they have so many features, commands, and picky syntax. People routinely write 1,000+ page "Bibles" on those languages. I've been trying to learn C++ off and on since I was a 6th grader. I'm 22 now. Finally, last year, I gave up trying to teach myself and signed up for a course at the Game Institute ($125, http://www.gameinstitute.com/) and I have finally gotten to the point where I can write a simple graphical game, put together toolbars and dialog boxes, etc. but it took forever and more than one programming course, and there are still many important things I don't know how to do.

Assembly is the programming language that is the closest to the CPU. Personally, I don't understand why more people don't program in assembly. It's the fastest language, fairly easy to learn (certainly easier than C++ anyway), and it really puts you in touch with the hardware in a good way (you'll understand how memory works when you learn assembly and start using it). Trouble is, assembly is CPU-specific, so it would be difficult to re-program something written for a PC to run on an iPhone.

A+ certification really isn't that difficult. Just take a course in it. It's only an entry-level certification. It's lots of eclectic information, unlike programming, which gets highly specific. You can forget how many pins one type of RAM has and still pass. In programming, you mess one thing up, and your program won't run.

Personally, I suggest said person take an A+ course and learn BASIC at the same time (maybe DarkBASIC, which is pretty powerful, or Microsoft Visual BASIC). They'll reinforce each other. Then if he/she is still interested, he/she can challenge a harder, more professional language like C++.

The key to mastering either of these subjects is writing code/working with hardware all the time. Encourage said person to try things out with computer hardware (adding ISA/PCI/AGP cards and taking them out [with the power off] to see what happens, that kind of thing). Try to learn your first programming language on a portable platform so you can practice writing programs anywhere. Most of my "good" programs that I wrote in middle school and high school were for the TI-83 (Plus) graphing calculator because that's what I always had with me.

You don't need to understand hardware to learn entry-level programming. I started learning entry-level programming when I was 10, and had written some fairly complex things before I started playing with hardware when I was 12 or 13 (the age at which I first successfully added a sound card to my old 486 DX and installed the drivers).

Source(s): I've written decent programs in C++ and TI-BASIC and have done college courses/test-out exams in: C++ C++ Win32 programming (programming specially for Windows, in progress, but I finished the midterm) Information Systems Systems Architecture Web Design

Both are really hard to learn. I suggest buying an MS-Dos book(s) or the A+ Bible. Or just download them. But it's really really hard, good luck