Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenMaintenance & Repairs · 1 decade ago

Why is the heating vent smelling like burned rubber?

I just turned the heater on and the vents throwing this weird smell like burn rubber. Why does it smell that way. We had to turn off the heater because of the smell.

Favorite Answer

it hasnt been used in months, it warms up.

seriously i was told this after i moved here from the uk, its normal

It may just be dust, I mean a heater is going to build up dust on it when it's not been used in a while. Give it a bit to clear up and hopefully that solves the problem.

Or.. it could be a short inside wiring an burning the plastic wire casing... I hope it is only dust if it is can you blow air thru the vent and clear the dust, and try it again if it still smells dont use it. If its portable get rid of it. If it's built in you need a pro. to look at it. lol.

• bob w

It is dust buildup on the heating elements. It will burn off soon and quit smelling.

Check the belt on the motor to fan and see if it is not slipping and burning. Have the heater checked by a pro. Lastly have the vents cleaned maybe something died in them.