Morgan Faye asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Should I Get a Border Collie?

My family wants to get a dog, and are considering a border collie. We raise Goats, so I was wondering if a border collie would make the goats skittish, or go crazy everytime it came around, or if they would be calm with it around. If not, any other breed suggestions? Thanks!!

Favorite Answer

The border collie will chase the goats unless it is a very poor representation of a border collie!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0sO1wdBhMY

Youtube thumbnail

Watch this video of a border collie in training, the pup was just introduced to sheep for the first time at 44sec into the video. Watch what his reaction is. This would be the same for most collies. Would you want that around your goats?

The herding instinct is based on and has been molded out of a desire to want to kill whatever is being chased. It takes experience and knowledge to know how to control this.

I don't know anything about goats so i don't know the exact effect this will have on them, but i don't think it would be a great effect!

I am going to make some assumptions based on what you have said so far in terms of suggesting another dog.

You're looking for an active, medium sized dog.

You can look into getting a boxer, very good, friendly dogs. Need daily exercise, no special grooming. Only thing that can be tricky is the basic obedience training, but as long as you know how to be consistent with it, there should not be any real problems.

If however, you or your parents have never really had experience in training a dog, they wouldn't be the best breed to have as they can be a bit of a handful.

http://www.boxersavvy.com/

That's a good site if you want to look up more about them.

The classic dogs like the labradors, retrievers and poodles are all great medium sized dogs.

A springer spaniel will give you the activity of a border collie (although not nearly as intense). They are sweet dogs, get along with other animals if they are introduced early and are a joy to train.

http://www.itsaspringthing.co.uk/choosing%20a%20sp...

Check out what is written there about them.

The Border Collie would likely try to herd the goats. A lot. It's what they do, and they are very good at it. If you want a working dog to move the goats around, a Border Collie would be a great choice. If you want a pet dog that will leave the livestock alone, a Border Collie probably would be a poor choice.

Have you considered a Golden Retriever?

Before you make the decision to get a Border Collie, you should consider all of the following points carefully. After reading through this admonition and educating yourself on the breed from other sources, if you still feel like you can handle this breed and enjoy living the "Border Collie" lifestyle, we encourage you to seek out a rescue dog. The following are some very important questions that you should ask yourself before you decide to get a Border Collie, along with their corresponding answers. Though these are wonderful dogs, they certainly are not for everyone.

1) I heard they were really smart dogs and I wanted a smart dog so it would be easy to train.

2) I heard they were great with kids and make wonderful family pets.

Though these thoughts may have some validity to them under certain circumstances, for most Border Collies and owners, these ideas are fallacies.

1) Roughly a quarter of Border Collies entering rescue (though this varies with the region) are those that have not displayed strong enough herding instincts to make themselves efficient herding dogs on working farms. Rather than trying to work against the natural abilities (or inabilities) of the dog, the working family gives the dog over to rescue so that it can be placed in a more appropriate, pet home.

2) A larger proportion of the dogs are given up because they have bitten someone, almost inevitably a child. The herding instinct, if strong, is overwhelmingly incompatible with a household containing children - particularly when the child and adult owners have not been trained or educated in how to deal with the peculiarities of the herding instinct. Border Collies can make good family pets, but only for those dogs that do not have the intense herding instincts and for the families prepared to deal with the ramifications of this behavior.

Older children can be taught to stop dead in their tracks and avoid this confrontation altogether. Since the dog does not perceive a continued threat of the animal escaping, the dog relaxes and shifts into a more "normal" mode.

Younger children may be taught to handle this experience with some degree of calm but to expect a child that is younger than 5 to be able to confront a running, snapping, growling, or barking dog with its teeth bared, may be asking too much of even the most mature youngster. Parents can regulate and supervise encounters with the family dog but for younger children, this means never letting your dog alone with the child.

Tips!!!

Latinapride

I have a 5 month old Border Collie and I wouldn't recommend getting one to protect the goats. I take Toby to my moms every week (she has goats) and they are terrified of him and all he wants to do is herd them. They feel threatned and try to head butt him.

They are really smart dogs, but that just translates into being really hard to train. They are stubborn. Please, please,please do your research before getting one. My husband and I did a ton of research before getting one. We love him to death, but he is a pain sometimes. We finally got him house trained (after 3 months). He does great with my daughter who is 18 months old and he does great on the leash(he learned that in just 1 day).

The running joke in our family is that we have the only stupid border collie. They are a ton of work. They require tons of exersize and get very destructive if they don't. Training is a must with a Border Collie, b/c they are so "smart".

I would recommed a Great Pyranees or an Anatolian Shepherd if you are wanting something to protect your goats. My parents considered getting a Border Collie after meeting Toby, but they quickly changed their minds after seeing him interact with them.

Sorry for rambling, hope I helped.

Source(s): personal experience

I wouldn't get a Border Collie unless I had lots of experience with dogs. They are very high maintenance. My husband and I have had over 40 years experience with all sorts of dogs, and do not feel we could provide the best home for a B.C.

A Lab or a Golden Retriever are great first time dogs - particularly if you get one from a shelter (preferably a senior).

a border collie will most likely want to herd the goats, they are good dogs if they have a LOT of exercise DAILY, they need to be able to run and have a job, i would suggest going into agility with collie

• dextra

properly I own 2 of those 3. And jointly as they are comparable they have some massive ameliorations. I wouldnt recomend border collies till you're into outdoor activities, like strolling, and trekking. or you have an interest in stepping right into a canine activity mutually with rally-o, obediance, flyball, agility, discing, freestyle, etc. they are the main intense power of the three. They dont kneed farm animals or a great backyard yet you will might desire to do something to maintain them busy. Bored border collies at the instant are not relaxing to stay with, and its a disgrace to waste that ideas in any case:) they have a medium coat, rather uncomplicated to shelter as long as you sweep it a pair circumstances each and every week. they are additionally medium length 19-21 inches tall, around 40lbs. They dont constantly do properly with toddlers and cats through their tendency to herd. Collies are lively, yet on familiar require much less workout than the border collies. you may desire to submit to in ideas, jointly as they are all herding breeds, collies and shelties are used as basically pets now and it does coach interior the way they behave in any different case. Collies are massive canine, jointly as women are smaller than adult males often, there is not any assure. Mine replaced into 28`inches tall and eighty 5 pounds. They require you to have a reliable understanding of grooming, or perhaps a properly groomed collie will leave hair around. It`s not as undesirable as you may anticipate nonetheless. a visit to a groomers as quickly as a month and combing some circumstances each and every week at abode with help. as far as temperment, they have the excellent of any breed i comprehend of. This of course has plenty to do with how they are socialized and experienced aswell. often they are friendly, get alongside with little ones or perhaps small animals. the two breeds make remarkable watch and shield canine like each and every herding breeds. you already comprehend approximately shelties:)