What do you think about red light and speed cameras?

We have cameras for running red lights and speeding in my town. I personally do not like them although I always obey the law. What is your opinion about them?

Favorite Answer

I don't care much for those spying cameras. always believed that one should face his accuser I would prefer receiving my (speeding ticket handed to me by a police officer) other than having it mailed to me.

The police can't be everywhere, physically that is. With these cameras they can monitor and punish those that have broken the law. This way, people cannot say "i wasn't caught, so i didn't break the law". Trust me on this, if a speeding car kills a loved one, you'll wonder where those cameras were to catch that car...

For those who are saying they cause more accidents, prove it with statistics, not just one of those "well, i think that's how it works" or a "i saw a guy do it once". That doesn't fly.

Also, Bimmer, you fail.

1) You're responsible for the car, therefore a license plate is acceptable.

2) It's not an infringement on your rights, if it was, tinted windows would be legal.

3) If you're going to state "facts" provide hard evidence i.e. percentages and reputable sources.

4) They can positively identify you. Also, you're contradicting yourself because you said, "It's an infringement on your rights of privacy", but now you want them to "identify you" make up your mind. Do you want them to see you or not?

5) Running a red light is not safe. Besides, they'd get footage of what's going on so they'd know why you're running the red.

First, prove it was me that ran the light or speed through it. A license plate doesn't count.

Second, it is an infringement on my rights of privacy

Third, they cause more accidents from people slamming on their brakes to avoid a ticket and then getting rear ended.

Fourth, I want an officer to positively identify me as the speeder/red light runner and personally give me a ticket for it.

And Fifth, sometimes, IT IS JUST SAFER TO RUN A RED LIGHT JUST AS IT TURNS RED TO AVOID SOME SORT OF FREAK ACCIDENT WHERE THE DRIVER BEHIND IS TOO CLOSE OR NOT PAYING ATTENTION. It is hard to argue against that when all they have is your picture and there wasn't a trained officer who was able to determine why you had to barely run the light.

Another thing that pisses me off about them is that in my city, they lowered the speed limit right before the light and they shortened the yellow light just to get more people caught. So basically, they take your rights away and then they start abusing the power that is given to them.

• dextra

seems such as you have been snapped. I even have been snapped two times and on no account heard something approximately it because of the fact a million/2 of the cameras dont have action picture. if it rather is the digital device then you definately could be unlucky. If it replaced into on trafic lighting fixtures it rather is through a accident blackspot and there as a deterant to gentle dodgers. not something you're able to do approximately it .... wait it out and spot what happens.

• Teekno

As someone who obeys the speed limits and doesn't run red lights, I never think about them.

I think thats a bunch of crap i have those in my city also and its very annoying. they don't know what could of been happening you may if seen a car doing wierd stuff of had a emergeny whike driving i have had asthma attacks while driving and may have needed to get thru a light or make a turn to get clear of traffic the sux the gov wants us to live like robots i swear

• mhmd

Don't care for them. They're there to generate revenue. The red light cameras actually cause more accidents (more rear end collisions at intersections where the cameras are used).

I don't understand how they ever passed constitutional muster. They should violate the part of the constitution that gives you the right to confront your accuser and question the veracity of his claims. I can't take a picture to court, nor can I cross examine it.

its a great way for the city to get even more money!