Aaron asked in SportsFootball (American) · 1 decade ago

What is wrong with my football catching?

I have a very strange question. I played 4 years of highschool football, and played mostly OLB and Pulling Guard in a wing-T offense. Well now I play in a 5 man flag football league and I play slot receiver, so I always have people around me when I catch the ball in traffic.

My question is: Whenever I'm wide open, the QB will throw a perfect ball and it will bounce right off my hands a lot. Or I'll drop it as I'm bringing it in. But when it's a horrible throw, I do crazy, amazing catches that make even the other team say stuff. Like running to the corner of the end zone in a drag route, the QB throws it behind me and I'll jump, spin the other way in midair, and catch it with only my hands. Or I'll be running and he'll throw it very low and behind me, and I'll slide to the ground, get my hands underneath, and get up running. Or my favorite is when I have people all over me basically trying to tackle me before I catch the ball, and I'll reach out and battle for it, shake them off, and keep running. And I do a lot of jumping high to catch a badly thrown ball in the back of the end zone or something (I am only 5'7") But then I'll be wide open, get a good pass to me, and I'll drop it.

What is wrong with me?

Favorite Answer

your thinking to much... wen your doing all that amazing stuff your going on instinct but wen your wide open you'll proly think right before you catch it. or you don't think till your bringing it down and you just forget about the ball.. i have to clear my mind before the play starts

Source(s): current high school receiver

Well your probably getting all hyped up. I played WR/CB on my team but im gonna try RB this year, and when I started playing WR I was all hyped up and couldnt catch anything on my first game, but then I just relaxed, and all your amazing catches you have been making you feel comfortable there and your mind is thinking your not gonna catch it when your wide open because your probably used to having alot of guys around you and you might get all hyped up, when you get wide open just relax and you will make the catch.

Sorry if I didnt help :P

attack the ball when its still in the air, grab it in the air dont let it just go into your hand, try gloves, you should be making a triangle with your hands, however this sounds like its all in your head. It just sounds like your mentally not in it when your not under pressure.

You're thinking way too much and you're not "absorbing" the ball. Imagine catching an egg...do you let it just hit your hands or do you "absorb" it so it won't break??? If that fails...use STICKUM or tacified gloves!!!

• JMMZ

It is hard to tell...Maybe you are not good when you are "WIDE open" but you do like to "have people all over you"...

Then again you are a " slot receiver"...

get some better gloves...If it hits your hands there is no excuse of dropping the ball

LOL @ first answer innit. Why the td??? ffs you will be caught innit.