emily asked in PetsReptiles · 1 decade ago

My emerald tree boa won't eat, what do I do?

My emerald tree boa wont eat, what do I do now? I have tried frozen mice multiple times, and live as well. I bought her at an expo in early August. She was wild caught, so I have no idea when she last ate.

Favorite Answer

No, snakes do not want "variety" and yes, another person that knows nothing about snakes is answering questions on this post. (I don't know about you but this is REALLY getting old) Nonetheless, check out the attached link and go back to the basics. Emeralds need high humidity and are really an "advanced care" snake to keep because of all their requirements. Make sure the temp & humidity are right 1st, and if after consistent attempts to get him to eat, I'd consult with the dealer or the individual you bought the snake from at the Expo. this is one of the MAJOR problems with "wild-caughts". As with Ball Pythons, some "wild-caughts" never properly acclimate and eventually starve to death unless force-fed. Be patient, make sure the cage requirements are perfect and keep trying. They are beautiful creatures but require a lot of work. I hope this helps.

***Just when I thought it couldn't get any worse....DISREGARD the bad advice about "tuna juice" & Rabbits. An Emerald Tree Boa DOES NOT eat any of these things- (Unbelievable! - why do these little kids keep giving this kind of idiotic advice?) **************

http://www.emeraldtreeboa.org/daemons/etbcare.htm

Continue to offer food. Once your snake has gotten accustomed to it's new home, it should go back on the feed. You can also try feeding at night. If have been feeding rat pinkies, try a mouse pinkie and see if you get a feeding response. Some snakes are very sensitive to the chemical signatures that are emitted by different prey items. Certain scents that are more naturally recognized as food will trigger a better feeding response in snakes that are considered to be picky eaters.

• johnny

Because your arboreal snake is a wild snake, you may want to offer it an appropriate sized chick. Wild snakes are difficult feeders. You can also offer a lizard. If your boa takes the chick, cross scent a mouse with a chick and then offer that mouse the next time you feed it. If she takes a lizard, cross scent a mouse with a lizard. Make sure you have all of her cage conditions right especially the temperature and an area for her to perch above the floor of her cage. Feed your snake at night and make sure it is pretty quiet when you do.

Source(s): Python Keeper

First off wild caught animals is not a very good thing to have as a pet. They have the mood of a wild animal, which could be nice to you one minute and the next turn and bite you in the butt.

Its most likely used to hot blooded fresh LIVE mice or rats. And no dont just go outside and pick one up. Take it back to the person you got it from or give it to the nearest pet store.

its never a good idea to buy or even have wild animals in your house. BUT if i had to suggest anything ive heard that tuna juice helps when your snake isnt eating, just soak the thawed food in the juice, and try shaking it in the cage.

Source(s): reptile stores, and the internet

Give a new kind of diet. its kinda like humans. Humans get tired of the same food every day. Snakes do want to taste other stuff to, to tell which is good food.

Source(s): Human Behavior.

If it is big then try feeding her a rabbit.

Source(s): My Dad has a two huge boas and they eat rabbits.

feed it a midget

sit it free.