Can a person with Leukemia donate any organs?

..i have had leukemia for over 30 years now, and am in the final stages..just recently learned that my brother has end stage Hepatitis C..if it is at all possible i wish to donate my liver to him..he has a rare AB blood type, with RH factor, but, i am a universal blood type, 0-

Favorite Answer

Yeah, and give the leukemia to another person is a big no-no. Though, at least U still care about others.

I have cll leukemia type B for almost 6 yrs now, Stage 0. Started at about 11000 went to about 20000 and been right in that 20000 range always, Healty 68 yr old...no alcohol no smoke. type ab pos blood. could i possibly be a candidate to donate ANY type of organs? If it is possible, I would rather do it now, while healthy. Am a veteran and all my blood work is excellent except, of course, the white blood cells. Platlets, and reds are good, I use Va in Ft Worth clinic and go to Dallas once a yr to visit oncologist/heme drs. Someone with proper credentials might find me ron at VA Ft worth, Dec 7, 1945.

• Ronald S4 years agoReport

I am now a little over 70 with no changes in my CLL . Still stage 0. ...I need to know if I can donate my liver to a loved one.

Assuming you're a compatible donor, it's extremely unlikely that you'd pass the leukemia to your brother via an organ transplant. However, leukemic cells do infiltrate the liver, so it's unlikely that your liver is healthy enough to be transplanted.

That said, only a small portion of the liver is needed for transplant (you don't need to transplant the whole organ, so one liver can be transplanted to multiple recipients), so maybe enough of it is healthy.

If I were you, I would ask your or his doctor and go from there.

Best of luck!

No, I doubt very much if you could donate to anyone. I know that in order to donate you have to be very healthy and free of medical problems. I also doubt that they would ever use your liver due to the leukemia.

Source(s): liver transplant recipient