I have an ingrown fingernail...what to do?

So, I chewed one of my nails really short. I know it was a stupid thing to do. But, anyway, my fingernail is ingrown and it hurts so bad. The skin has grown about half way across my nail. It is read and swollen. It is also oozing tons of gross stuff. I can't take it anymore! I can't cut a V in the nail, because it is too short. I have tried to dig it out of the edge, but I can't. What can I do? Also, I am pretty sure my mom won't take me to the doctor for such a little thing.

• Favorite Answer

Try to pick it out gradually over the span of a few days. Take some antibiotic cream and put it on a band-aid. Cover it for half the day and leave it open the rest.

This happend to me before, I had to go to the doctors and they used a special tool to pick it out. But if your mom wont take you, just leave the house one day and say your going to go for a long walk, then walk down to the doctors. Somtimes trying to pick it out yourself will only make it worse. By the way, dont be worry'd for them to pick it out, they will most likely numb your finger before they pick it out.

Source(s): Personal expearince