....What is Calvinism...?

I've heard this term before but I don't really get it. Can someone explain it?

Favorite Answer

Classic 5 point Calvinism" states the following doctrinal beliefs, and uses the helpful acrostic (T-U-L-I-P) to remember them: T=Total Depravity of man; U=Unconditional election; L=Limited Atonement; I=Irresistible grace; P=Perseverance of the Saints. In this case, if classic Calvinism is correct, then the 'I' in particular leads to the inexorable conclusion that God creates most to send them to hell. If an individual cannot resist God's grace (the 'I'), and God elects only a few to salvation (Matt. 7:13-14), then clearly he elects most to damnation without their ever having a chance to make a genuine choice. This is tight logic with no room for equivocation and the non-contradictory Calvinist is forced to admit this. In addition, the 'L' (limited atonement, meaning that Jesus only died for those who are actually saved, and not for all people of all times) is shown to be false by many scripture, not the least of which are John 3:16, or 1 John 2:2.

Due to the fact that the classic 5 point Calvinist position leads to the conclusion that God purposely creates people knowing they will have no choice in avoiding hell (only give/direct His ‘irresistible grace’ to very few), I reject this position since the teachings in the scripture regarding His mercy would contradict this conclusion (Deut. 4:31; Jer. 3:12). It is true that all who pass the age of accountability deserve to go to hell, for all are born in sin and all freely choose to sin and thereby ratify their position as Adam's rebellious descendants. However, if those who pass the age of accountability are not given the ability to respond to God's mercy in order to be saved, then the unavoidable conclusion is that God continues to create the vast majority of people knowing they will have no choice but to be condemned to hell, since He will not direct His "irresistible grace" on them (a concept not taught in scripture). This conclusion leads to impugning the three most important characteristics (from man's perspective at least) of God's character - His love, mercy and forgiveness. In addition, scripture contradicts this position (2 Pet. 3:9; 1 Tim. 2:3-4). The Calvinistic notion that Adam's sin is to blame for our inability to be able to respond to God's mercy is inconsistent with scripture (Ezekiel 18 et al). Adam’s sin affects all who are born after him and gives them a predisposition of pride and unbelief which deserves God’s just condemnation, but God’s abundant compassion makes a Way for all who will choose to respond to it.

It also shows up in Reformed Church circles, and can be quite harsh. Calvin was the guy who took the Apocrypha out of the Bible.

Read the pdf for an answer from a church agency (less than 40 pages)

or for a more thorough example:

_Engaging God's World: A Christian Vision of Faith, Learning, and Living_ by Cornelius Plantinga

I had to read the book for a class at another school. Be sure to have comfort food handy before you submit yourself to the chapter on the Fall (original sin). it took me at least 10 marshmallows to make it through the book to the "happy" ending.

"In January, 2002, he became the sixth President of Calvin Theological Seminary."

Calvinism is a protestant belief structure based on the beliefs of John Calvin, the most notable being that of predestination. The Teachings of Calvin are the basis for the Presbyterian church.

the belief that God chooses you to become saved and do certain works, and that once you are chosen, there is nothing you can do to change it. The opposite is also true: if you aren't chosen, you're doomed and that's that.

Calvinists come in different degrees: 5 point Calvinists (meaning they agree with all 5 points of Calvinism, which I can't remember off the top of my head) are very deterministic. 3 point Calvinists at least try to throw in some freewill.

It comes from John Calvin who taught predestination. According to Calvin, God foreordained who went to heaven and hell before the universe was even created and there was nothing you could do to change it. The number chosen for heaven was very small.

He believed the bible and it's entirety. He was a christian man. I do not know why they call it such a name. The man was a born again christian.

OK SO THIS LAME QUESTION POSTS BUT MINE DOESNT!!?!?

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=Alz_j...