Would I be able to get a job in Business Administration with a felony on my record?

I want to pursue a Master degree in Business Admin. Would the felony on my record conflict with my goal?

Favorite Answer

It's going to be difficult to get a job in a business with a felony record. Most businesses perform background checks on prospective employees these days.

Source(s): 20+ years practicing law

As a hiring manager I can understand and explain why it is so hard to get a job.

Here's the thing about getting hired after a felony:

It's a simple matter of liability. It has nothing to do with whether they like or trust you, it's just legal liability. They hire someone with a felony on their record, and someday that person snaps and kills the office. The fact that the company knew about the felony and still chose to hire that person means the company can't say, "Well we had no idea, we never saw it coming!" It gives grounds for unbelievable lawsuits from the victims' families. The company is toast. Or maybe it's not even that bad. Maybe that person simply commits a smaller violation; Harrassment or a white collar crime; Same deal. There is no reason for a company, particularly a large one, to risk hiring a liability. And again, it's not YOU, it's not that they PERSONALLY don't like you, it's that thing on your record. It doesn't matter to them if you're the saintliest, family-oriented, jolly old candy maker on the planet, it's just not worth the risk.

It's a rough road, but remember that there ARE employers who hire convicted felons. It's important that you become well spoken and well written, and thoroughly explain (in writing) what happened, without any exaggerations. Smart people like me will see right through stories of what "really" happened and/or how you "totally got screwed." Even if it's true, it's a huge turn off to have someone trying to invoke a reaction from you by telling you a story to get you on their side. Just be straightforward and honest, be completely drama-free, and expect to get turned down a lot before you get hired.

Good luck to you.

Source(s): Hiring manager