I need some help!! So I logged onto my computer and a screen came up stating that the product key was invalid?

It gave me the option to type in the product key but, I dont have it. I downloaded it but, I can get into my desktop to go to my downloads to retrieve it.. Any suggestions? please help me

Update:

its a Vista Home Basic

Update 2:

the disk case is missing, i cant even access the start menu

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

it means something in your computer is fake and it asks your for an original/legit product key for you to continue using it.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The key is on a sticker on the case the Vista CD came in. If it was installed when you got the computer, it's on a sticker on the computer. If not, you have a stolen copy of Vista and you're going to have to call Microsoft and buy a key.

• 1 decade ago

sure try going to control panel system and maintenance system: then go and see at the bottom if it says windows is activated if not or if yes then click change product key re enter the key and click next

• 1 decade ago

did you do a re-install? if not, just power down and then reboot. if this does not help, try this:

Restart the machine press f-8 load last known good configuration. This should get you back in.

you seem to have a second computer, to write this message - if the above does not help, try here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836178

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.