I need some help!! So I logged onto my computer and a screen came up stating that the product key was invalid?

It gave me the option to type in the product key but, I dont have it. I downloaded it but, I can get into my desktop to go to my downloads to retrieve it.. Any suggestions? please help me

its a Vista Home Basic

the disk case is missing, i cant even access the start menu

Favorite Answer

it means something in your computer is fake and it asks your for an original/legit product key for you to continue using it.

The key is on a sticker on the case the Vista CD came in. If it was installed when you got the computer, it's on a sticker on the computer. If not, you have a stolen copy of Vista and you're going to have to call Microsoft and buy a key.

sure try going to control panel system and maintenance system: then go and see at the bottom if it says windows is activated if not or if yes then click change product key re enter the key and click next

did you do a re-install? if not, just power down and then reboot. if this does not help, try this:

Restart the machine press f-8 load last known good configuration. This should get you back in.

you seem to have a second computer, to write this message - if the above does not help, try here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836178