Question about the Army Reserves?

I am a 32 year old female and I am seriously considering joining the reserves. I am getting alot of negative feedback from family and friends. Could someone give me some info about boot camp school and life after. Thanks

Favorite Answer

Boot camp is what makes you a Soldier. You learn to follow orders, organization, Army structure, ranks, customs, courtesies, martial arts, communications, medical techniques, marksmanship, basic combat tactics, physical fitness, and a lot more. Then you go to your MOS training and learn the basics of that particular job. Some MOSs (Military Police being the only one of these few that females can choose) have what's basically a very long boot camp instead of a separate AIT, where the job skills are integrated into boot camp starting with the first day. We call it "OSUT". Infantry, Armor, Cavalry, and Combat Engineers have it also. I won't say too much for the other OSUTs, but in mine, you lived in a 40-man room from day one until graduation. No computer, no phone, no TV, no free time, no going out, nothing. With a Drill Sergeant on you at all times. OSUTs are usually about 4 months long. Ordinary boot camp is 2 months, and separate AITs vary depending on the job (anywhere from a month to 6 months, some are even longer).

Afterward, you'll go back home and drill with your unit two or three days a month, and two weeks in the summer. Every couple years you'll be mobilized for a total of 12 months. You'll spend the first one or two months of it training, then the rest of it doing whatever your job is, but in another country. Iraq, Afghanistan, Africa, the Philippines, maybe Korea, Japan, Europe, whatever. MP, you'll be processing and guarding prisoners, guarding checkpoints, protecting a long line of vehicles (convoy security), watching out for idiots doing stupid/illegal things, etc. Clerk, you'll be filling out paperwork for awards, transfers, promotions, and everything else that can possibly be written. Or you might fix vehicles. Or aircraft. Or treat sick and wounded in a hospital. Depends on what YOU decide as your MOS when you enlist. It's not always fighting, killing, and dying. There is Infantry, but there's 200 other jobs that work "behind the scenes" with very important and sometimes unglamorous jobs, too, that work in relative safety with A/C.

I don't know you of course, but I think it's absolutely wonderful that you want to serve your country. 99% of people haven't had the balls/ovaries to do it.

And a note to the jackass above saying it's easier than the Marines...one of my Drill Sergeants and one of my fellow recruits had both been in the Marine Corps, and both said they're equal. We just don't care to have an entire week devoted to swimming.

Source(s): US Army Infantry FOLLOW ME!

boot camp is difficult. you are treated like kid but worse. You get screamed at and picked on by the drill sergeants and you do PT 6 days a week. Lots of road marches up to 12 miles long, obstacle courses. Going to the range to shoot no matter how hot or cold. Sleeping in little tents barely big enough for 1 person for up to one week with no showers busting your butt and always feeling sore. The sore feeling never goes away. More than likely you will get hurt, most of us did, but the true soldiers fought through the pain and made it through, taping our feet up that had stress fractures to make it through the road marches and PT tests. It's hard but after wards in the reserves I'm not sure how it is cuz I was active duty. And that was horrible. I wish I had gone reserves. From what I've heard from other reservists it is a lot easier to get promoted in the reserves and they are a lot more laid back and they don't deploy as often. But in joining during war time, there is always a good chance you will go at some point.

Go for it, if you want to do it, do it before you get any older. If you aren't sure exactly what you want to do, talk to a Guard recruiter as well. The Reserves do have deployable units, they aren't all institutional training, they just don't have any major combat formations. What I was getting at was that the Guard is about twice the size of the Reserves and so may have a greater variety of job choices closer to your home than the Reserves do. Compare commuting times with bonuses, etc. Most other incentives will be the same, but if you are thinking about going back to school, some states pay extra tuition money for their Guard that the Reserves do not qualify for. Good luck.

You go to basic and train with active duty and national guard. After that you get sent to your AIT. Basic is basically a head game. Keep your ears open and mouth shut. Be sure you meet the PT requirements prior to going.

After you are done with your training you drill one weekend a month and two weeks a year. Sometimes you may have a 3 or 4 day drill. You can also be deployed.

• Army Reserve is Institutional Training. They have few units with a mission and only 1 remaining combat unit..The 100th Bn (of WWII fame) in HI. The Guard is where all the units with a mission are now. The Guard has 53% of the total combat units available to DA.

Have you checked to see if there is Reserves close by and what they need. It's not like going active and being able to get into any MOS. I was trying to make technicians out of active clerks, 1 USAF Air Police (before they got the current name), a Navy Chief that came over to try for E8, 1 experienced Navy ET as OIC, 1 experienced Army tech...the point is there will be prior service folks trying to get in as well...again just not the same as going active.

AIT is a breeze...here is my canned Basic routine:

Ahh the memories, phosphorus melding into the Monterey fog, Drill Sergeants putting us in the thinking position. CS, blowing up Bambi’s dad with a claymore, first aid and how a bandoleer can hold things in place, chow, KP, pots and pans, having the Range Officer screaming cease fire while some idiot is firing on a civilian aircraft ( it was not me ), same thing except it was a yacht in no mans land behind the dunes in Monterey Bay, the guy that got hungry and ate poison ivy, wild pigs in bivouac area, being choked out for not saluting the aggressors flag in escape and evasion......AND WE ALL LIVED, SO WILL YOU!!!

They say that in the Army

The Chow is mighty fine

A biscuit rolled off the table

And killed a friend of mine

They say that in the Army

The Coffee’s mighty fine

It looks like muddy water

And tastes like turpentine.

They say that in the Army

The chickens mighty fine.

One jumped up on the table

And started marking time.

Don't think it has changed too awful much since Dino Days, I even throw in a little butt chewing...no extra charge

It might go a little like this:

Up before the sun @ 0430. Also known as O dark thirty

30 minutes max for the 3 S's ($h!t, shower, shave) sometimes the shower is the night before.

Formation.

A little PT: Daily Dozen and Singing “Up in the morning with the rising sun, were gonna run till the running is done” while double timing a mile

Chow: Coming to attention, count off 1 Drill Sergeant WETSU (We Eat This $h!t Up)

Formation

Draw weapons if going to range

Formation

Double time to training site. C130 rolling down the strip, airborne daddy gonna take a little trip.

Train

Chow

Train

More PT Drill Sargent We Eat This $h!t Up

Double time back to barracks. I wanna be an Airborne Ranger, lead a life of death and danger, I wanna go to Viet Nam, just to kill ole Charley Cong ( I will guess the words have changed)

If weapons were drawn….

Stack weapons

Post guards. Guard relief to the head of Chow line.

Chow

Clean weapons

Have weapon inspected

Turn in weapon

Formation maybe maybe not

1 hour of your time....maybe

GI boots

GI area

Mass Attack on Showers or wait till morning

Write mommy

Lights out 2100

Coma time

"DROP AND GIVE ME 20"

Keep the pie hole shut and listen.

Think out your questions...it's the Army...do not appear that you were not paying attention!!!

Do not point at food and ask WTF is that:

If it is a green looking meat like substance that is "Mystery meat". Chow down it's very good for you!

If it looks like lumpy burnt oatmeal it's SOS.

If the SOS is poured over a something ...that is a biscuit not a hockey puck…though it’s hard to tell the difference!

If it is yellow and dry it is cake. Just stick it in a glass of milk, it will be fine.

If it is brown and poured over rice it is chili.....maybe...could be gravy made from left over bacon grease.

You think it will make you fat???

NO PROBLEM! I will just PT you until your legs are wore off to the knee's and your arms to the elbow!!!

ARE WE CLEAR???

WELL ARE WE???

GOOD!

Close enough anyway!

A premature welcome to "The Club"!

SSG US Army 73-82

H/4/3 Ft. Ord Jul-Sep 1973

This We’ll Defend

Its tough. You will first fill out loads of forms, then move to a medical test. After that, you go through bootcamp which consists of workouts, running, and training. You will also have some martial arts and hand to hand combat stuff mixed in (maybe a day or 2).

I suggest doing National Guard as it is not quite as tough as the army or marines. (Loads easier than marines).