Installing Windows 7, will my graphics card work?

I am planning to upgrade my windows xp to windows 7. Lately my windows xp has been blue screening and I think its been quite some time since I've reinstalled windows (4 years) so I think its time for a fresh reinstall. I ran the windows upgrade tool and everything checked out except for the graphics card. I am using an older graphics card that doesn't support pixel shading. My friend told me that this was because that the Aero function on Windows 7 requires it but also said that it can be turned off. My question is when I install Windows 7 will my computer still function and is the graphics card upgrade necessary? i.e. will my computer monitor stay blank and say cannot display? or will it in any way prevent me from using my computer properly?

Favorite Answer

1) Remember to back-up any data currently on hard drive.

2) Your current card/onboard video should install win7, just at lower eye-candy. Nowadays, videocards are cheap. See here

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Category/c...

• IBMGuy

Yes it probably will start up if your hardware is all good. Blue screens happen for other reasons as well as corrupt software. Memory or hard disc would be a culprit if you cant load 7 so check it with memtest 86 on a bootable cd rom.

To get Aero working in 7 your video card must be DX9 graphics with 128MB of memory.

Yes, of course. Windows 7 is an operating system, which is software. A graphics card and RAM is hardware, they're physical parts of the computer.

• Keith

The Aero glass requires a video card with at least pixel shader 2.0. So unless your card supports this then you won't be able to take advantage of Aero. You'll be able to ue Windows 7, just will not able to use Aero.

Keith Mitchell,Server Engineer,Hosting.com

Why don't you try installing vista for a sec. Install it. If Aero works, your vista computer will run aero. Then GET RID OF IT. Bad OS. Just reinstall xp then. But if it runs in vista, it'll run in 7.

Source(s): me
  • MB

Use the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor to see if your computer will run it.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?fa...