Problem with 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. HELP?

I need help diagnosing the problem with my '99 Jeep Grand Cherokee laredo. I drive it for a while, it 'bucks' or jumps (sometimes violently), then sometimes the engine dies. The RPMs go all the way down and I pull over. After about 5 to 20 minutes, it starts back.

At one time, my car went for three or four days without dying or 'jumping' at all.

I am leaning toward a faulty coil pack (ignition coil)....

ANY help would be appreciated!

Favorite Answer

Sounds like the Transmission is failing. Get it fixed now.

• Kathy

Have you checked the battery? It may be weak in one cell and that well give this problem. If you aren't sure how old the battery is, there is a code date that can be checked. Most of the codes like something like this........A/0 In this case A= January and 0= 2000. This is when the unit was produced, not when it was purchased nor installed. The first character is an alpha, which translates to the month. The second character is numeric, the last digit of the year. So if yours is D/8, then I'd replace it. D/8 would be April 1998, being we haven't reched 2008 yet.

Since coil packs would only affect individual cylinders,that shouldn't cause it. My "not being there" guess would be the fuel pump or the computer.

• ken k

how old is the batt????if over 3 years old replace and then check