Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Spiritually speaking, what's wrong with killing insects or animals?

(for survival or for food mainly)

These creatures are intellectually and emotionally weaker than humans. We have dominion over them. We should have complete control of their lives as we see fit. What's wrong?

There are of course situations where killing is absolutely warranted, but to what extent even?

Favorite Answer

People think it's only ok to kill insects or animals for little or no reason because they have no attachment to them. The only reasons i'd accept are food and self defense.

Think of it this way. If a person close to you died eg. parent, you'd be very upset of course but someone who was not close to your parent would not be as upset. Why? Because you have an attachment. When you stretch this idea to inter-species killing, what is different? Nothing. This is not justification for killing lower life forms.

This can have many answers. There are the vegetarians, who, in their way of thinking, say yes, We have many other alternatives to eating meat, so then, the killing of animals even for that purpose is unnecessary. Those who kill for the trophy, would view this quite differently. The killing of something to stick on their wall has no moral ramifications at all. Those who hunt and kill for food have yet another view, which is obvious. I think, in my opinion, the humane killing of an animal for survival, is justified, while the killing simply for sport, is wrong on several levels. I once shot a squirrel for it's hide, and I felt guilty for weeks afterwords. That was the end of my killing spree. I'll get my meat from the local grocery store.

Interesting that a guy with an avatar that looks like davy crockett asked this lol anyway...

There is nothing wrong with using things the way God intended for us to.

Gen 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Well I learned from my dad to watch where I stepped. To not harm a blade of grass, or step on ants, etc. Ants are more organized and peaceful than humans are, let them be. Spiders consume mosquitoes, which spread diseases. Without them, this world would be infested.

Now I have nothing against killing roaches or flies, as their common pests and - to further your point - don't do anything for us. But I feel bad inside (not to sound cheesy) everytime I pull a flower out of the ground, or step on tiny ants.

Animals are killed for meat, or skinned for human purposes anyways. And don't be so arrogant - dolphins are just as intelligent as humans are.

Source(s): Muslim.

Nothing is wrong with killing an animal if it for food or survival (that includes protecting yourself). But to kill an animal just because you can or for laughs is very wrong.

Killing is OK as long as it serves a good purpose. It is bad stewardship to kill an animal for anything less.

Bugs carry germs. We have every right to protect our health by removing them from an area.

as humans, it is in our own best interest to limit people using animals as sport...for killing. A human psyche that will delight in torturing an animal is not far from doing so to a human, too.

Source(s): `

For one, I don't think I would find cats tasty.

The other, killing bugs is a reflex we can't help when they get on you.

• MPH

I don't see a problem with any of the above reason.