skitsopooh asked in PetsCats · 1 decade ago

My cat has just been diagnosed with a liver mass and her kidneys and liver are all failing. advice please!?

Curls is almost 15 and has just been diagnosed with the above. She is a very active and agile cat, always has been, and nothing has changed in the last few years, or since she has been diagnosed - except she is losing weight and is quite scraggy now and is constantly hungry - and I mean, constantly hungry, always crying for food. Which is a good thing, I know, as most cats go off their food. Just looking for advice from people. How can I keep her 'going' as long as possible? Is there anything I should be doing, or giving her? She is still running about, going out, using her litter box, nothing has changed - but obviously I know something is going on inside. Since diagnosis approx one mth ago, I can actually feel the liver mass now - it is growing quite big and has definitely got larger recently. Vet has given her a mth to a year, but the lump has grown so quickly, I am now not so hopeful. Have got her on senior and kitten food at the moment. Any ideas from anyone who has had a cat with this complaint, or just has some advice, would love to hear from you. Many thanks

Forgot to add - as for the heat blanket, she has had one of those for years! She stole mine that I needed after surgery, and I have never had it back! Gets switched on most days! Thats why I am going to miss her so much, as she is always by my side on the sofa, glued to her 'hot spot'

Thanks so much to everyone who took the time to answer. Curly will continue to get loads of love and affection and all the food she can eat!! Its just a waiting game, but am going to try and just enjoy her while I have her. I know I am lucky for her to still be in such good condition, so lets just hope it lasts. I am finding it hard to cope with I guess, as I thought she was invincible - up until she started losing weight, people would think she was stil a kitten, as she was so manic, tiny and young looking. So I thought she would last years yet. Thanks again to you all for your kind words.

I'm sorry, but I don't think you'll have a year. We lost one of ours to a very fast growing tumor on the liver. He was feeling 'off' at the start of June, I took him in & they checked him over. Blood tests showed two liver enzymes were going though the roof, all the rest was normal. His X-ray showed a small spot about 1/4" large on the liver.

Three weeks later he was in terrible pain, I'd felt the mass 4 days prior to our taking him in for euthenasia, even on antibiotics and a few other things we tried the tumor was growing at the rate of an inch a week. There was no saving him, it was devestating.

My other cat has a chicken egg sized lump on his liver which is NOT growing, and all his blood tests show he's stable, the readings are in the low end on some, upper end on others, but still within 'safe' parameters. He's not got issues with anything else--weight is stable, kidneys functioning, etc, even at 18 years of age. With him we might be able to have 2 more years, but if it takes a turn, things happen fast.

The fact your cat has significant changes is not good. I'm so sorry. Enjoy her while she's with you.

Not to bring you down, but there isn't much you can do. It's very good that your cat is still active, and eating regularly. Any type of surgery might put Curls in jeopardy. If Curls was to have surgery, she would most likely die. If you see any signs of a decrease in eating habits, or being less active, to the point where Curls doesn't do anything anymore, it might be best to get her euthanized, to put her out of her misery if she gets. sick. Just keep doing what you have been doing, and hopefully she will live a lot longer :)

I'm sorry to hear about your cat,,,i lost a at two weeks ago she was 23years so she lived a good long life

I would say as long as your cat is happy and not in pain you should just carry on as normal with her...she will let you know when it;s time for her to go,,,it's very hard when our cats get ill and we have to face losing them,...all we can do is cherish every moment they are with us

Bless you and you kittie

• Gemini

Aw bless her, if she's eating and drinking thats a good sign as she would'nt if she felt ill, senior and kitten food is ideal for her too, maybe some tuna or small pieces of chicken? you're doing everything you can for her, and i know it must be heartbreaking for you, but you just keep on doing what you're doing. One of my cats had cancer in her mouth, she was fine one day, then we noticed she had lost a bit of weight and her coat wasn't as good as it was, and she started spiting her food out like it was hot,it was diagnosed as cancer,and was pretty advanced, so i know what you're going through.

• bryson

It sounds like they might are transforming into into something that they don't have. you do not have any chemical compounds or rat poison around the abode do you? it might additionally be a genetic ailment. yet the two way in case you elect them the two to proceed to exist and proceed to be wholesome you will desire to take them to the vet. once you get a puppy you're taking on the accountability of looking after them. that would not only propose loving them it ability accepting the financial household initiatives too. Pets are not low fee.

Preset the timer with your TV to turn off after an hour to remind you to do something more active.

When you need to help brainstorm, do it while taking walks.

• ron

Brightly coloured turmeric not just makes your curries taste fab, nonetheless it contains curcumin, an active ingredient that stops working high-protein dishes, burns fat in addition to holds back the growth involving new fat tissue.

The the very next time it snows, up your karma along with shovel your neighbor's sidewalk far too.

Keep her comfortable & give her lots of special treats. My old cat who is 17 has this thermal bed pad which keeps her joints more supple coz the vet said she can get a bit sore otherwise.