Nichole asked in PetsCats · 1 decade ago

Cat won't pee in litter box, but will poop?

My cat is a little over a year old now. She never had a problem using the litter box before. And she always had the same one. She did it the one day, so I thought maybe I needed to clean the box. It wasn't that dirty. I have two cats in the house, each has a litter box. I empty and fill with new litter once a week and scoop once or twice in between.

She will poop in the litter box but not pee. Both my inside cats are spayed(as are my outside). And I never had this problem with her before. Any suggestions?

Thanks for the answers. Number 2 helped. Anyone know an estimate on a vet bill to test for UTI?

• katies
    Best Answer

You should take her to the vet...

Sometimes you will see this behavior in cats when they have urinary issues. It may be a standard UTI, which is common in female animals because of their anatomy, cystitis (bladder infammation), or even kidney issues. Typically anitbiotics and such will clear these things up, and the cat will return to using the litterbox.

A cat that has always used the litterbox normally, then suddenly stops should be evaluated by a vet because it means that something has changed...whether its medical or behavioral.

There is also a chance the kitty could be diabetic as well. When cats become diabetic, they tend to drink more, and urinate more. When they urinate they are passing all the Glucose from their bodies, which also sets up the perfect environment for a UTI.

Otherwise it could be behavioral, but you will need to rule out any medical causes first. If your vet rules that out, then maybe they can help you with the behavioral aspect, because it can be a long road!

Sometimes it means obtaining more litterboxes (rule of thumb is one litterbox per cat plus 1), and placing them in more areas of the house,and trying different litters.

Using Pheromones (they come in diffusers and sprays. common one used is Feliway-look it up online!)http://www.feliway.com/us

Trying mechanical devices (one is called SSScat) which detect motion in the area the cats frequently urinates on, and produce an aerosol spray to deter them from the area. Blocking access to the couch (if possible) at night is a good idea, and maybe containing him to a room with a litterbox overnight.

The Vet giving anti-anxiety medications (usually last ditch efforts).

Then just make sure you clean up the areas as best you can, as the scent can trigger them to spray again in the same area. First wash all surfaces that have been urinated on with cat urine with a laundry detergent containing enzymes. Then mix up 50% white vinegar and 50% water in a spray bottle and spray the area well with the vinegar solution to discourage the cat spraying urine in the same place again.

Try This;

Ingredients

Baking Soda

White Vinegar

Dishwashing Detergent

3 % Hydrogen Peroxide

If the cat has recently urinated on the carpet, first absorb as much of the cat urine as possible using paper towels or an old towel. Place clean paper towels over the cat urine area and tread on them so as to absorb as much of the urine as possible. Repeat with dry towels until no more moisture can be absorbed.

If the cat urine has dried and you are not sure where the soiled area is you can use a black light to detect it. In a darkened room the black light will pick up urine and other stains. Hand held black lights can be purchased for between $15 to $25

Next, wet the area with a solution of 50% white vinegar and 50% water. Make sure you use enough of the solution to penetrate the fibers deep down. Allow it to almost dry. You can assist drying by blotting with paper towels as described above. If you own a wet and dry vacuum extractor use that to remove excess moisture.

The acidity of the vinegar will neutralize the ammonia in the cat urine.

Apply a liberal amount of baking soda over the affected area and drizzle it with a quarter of a cup of hydrogen peroxide mixed with a teaspoon of liquid dishwashing detergent. (not caustic detergent that you put in a dishwasher) Work it in with a scrubbing brush or your fingers (be sure to wear rubber gloves) to dissolve the baking soda and work it down into the carpet. Allow it to dry. Then vacuum.

The vinegar will neutralize the ammonia and hydrogen peroxide is a powerful oxidizer capable of killing bacteria which cause the urine smells. Baking soda is a well known deodorizer which absorbs odors. Sprinkle it on your carpet monthly then vacuum up to keep your carpet smelling fresh all the time.

Important. Never use ammonia or ammonia-based products on the carpet. One of the ingredients of urine is ammonia and your cat may well be encouraged to re-offend in the same area if it detects the smell of ammonia. Many household cleaner cleaners contain ammonia so be sure to read the label.

If you don't have hydrogen peroxide on hand you could substitute it in an emergency for a spray laundry stain remover. Check the bottle. If it says 'Oxy' anywhere on the label then it probably contains hydrogen peroxide.

Caution, you should test your carpet for color fastness in an inconspicuous area.

Use only 3% Hydrogen Peroxide.

Sorry that was so long!! Good Luck, hope I helped a little!

Source(s): Vet Tech

1

Source(s): Stop Cat Spraying http://emuy.info/StopCatSpraying

I have tried all of the suggestions even providing a "private" area for the one cat. None of it worked. She was peeing right next to the litter box that she pooped in. I took her to the vet - nothing wrong with her. I have 3 cats - 2 females and one male. And I have 6 litter boxes, one is a low edge tote about 2 x 4 none of it worked. So all I can offer is this: I bought unscented doggie pee pads - put one down next to the box she pooped in and that is where she has been going pee for the last 6 months.

• That's what I have had to do. It's a daily chore to remove the pad and lay a new one down, but my 17-year old is more than worth that small effort to me. The training pads are inexpensive. When I replace the pad I put it in an airtight ZipLock bag for disposal.

Our 10 month old tom will only pee on rugs. Poops in the litter box. I have heard him yowling some just before he pees. Gonna check him for infection.

she could have a bladder infection.

it hurts to pee, and the cat associates the pain with the litter box, so won't use it.

take her to the vet, testing for a bladder infection is easy and relatively inexpensive. if she does have an infection, she will get antibiotics that should clear it up in a week or so.

• Lee

Answer #2 is excellent, but if you find no medical issues, keep the cat in a plastic pet carrier temporarily, and let it out only when you can watch it. If it pees in the carrier, it stands in it. This will happen a maximum of one time. Once back in routine, the problem should cease. If it does it again, back to the carrier.

Where is she peeing? If she goes in a certain spot, you can clean there with an enzymatic detergent like 'smells and stains', which will get rid of the smell, so your cat doesn't associate that spot with doing her business. She might also have a bladder infection.

my cat has never peed on the floor before well she did when she was a baby because she shared a house with another cat and there was only one litter box when i moved to where it was just her she stopped now suddenly she has started back up he box is clean and dry but she wont pee in it she will poop not pee and when she does pee its always in the same area right near her litter box

I HAVE 4 CATS. 2 MALE 2 FEMALE. ONE FEMALE WOULD POOP IN COVERED LITER BOX BUT NOT URINATE. NO MEDICAL ISSUES. FINALLY HAD TO UNCOVER BOX. IT ENDED PROBLEM OF HER NOT USING BOX BUT CREATES SO MUCH MORE OF A MESS. HEARD CATS CAN BE CLAUSTROPHOBIC. CAN"T FIGURE OUT WHY SHE WOULD POOP IN COVERED BOX BUT NOT URINATE.

www.litterboxguru.com has tons of info on this issue. Check it out!