Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentElections · 1 decade ago

Please help me understand how anyone could disagree with the Nobel Peace Prize committee's selection of our?

DEAR LEADER

Saturday, October 10, 2009

Mixed World Reaction to Obama's Win

Joseph Curl

After recovering from their initial shock, leaders around the globe applauded Friday's surprise award of the Nobel Peace Prize to President Obama, saying they hoped the prize would spur his efforts on nuclear disarmament and peacemaking in some of the world's most violent places.

Calling the honor "well-deserved," NATO Secretary-General Anders Fogh Rasmussen hailed Mr. Obama's "strong commitment to help build peace and defend fundamental human rights, including through the Atlantic alliance." Former U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan called it "an unexpected but inspired choice."

But reaction to the news was mixed both at home and abroad, with some critics calling the award political and others calling it premature. At least one former Peace Prize laureate said that the president - nominated for the prize just days after he entered the White House in January - had not earned the honor.

"Who? Obama? So fast? Too fast - he hasn't had the time to do anything yet," said Poland's Lech Walesa, the 1983 winner who spent a year in jail after he helped found Solidarity, the Soviet bloc's first independent trade union.

"For the time being, Obama's just making proposals," Mr. Walesa said.

Mr. Obama himself seemed slightly nonplussed speaking to reporters in the Rose Garden just hours after press secretary Robert Gibbs woke him at 6 a.m. to deliver the startling news from Oslo. Mr. Obama is the third U.S. president to receive the award while in office, following Theodore Roosevelt and Woodrow Wilson.

"I do not view it as a recognition of my own accomplishments, but rather as an affirmation of American leadership on behalf of aspirations held by people in all nations," Mr. Obama said.

"To be honest, I do not feel that I deserve to be in the company of so many of the transformative figures who've been honored by this prize - men and women who've inspired me and inspired the entire world through their courageous pursuit of peace," he said.

The White House said Mr. Obama would donate the $1.4 million cash award that accompanies the prize to an unnamed charity, and confirmed that he would travel to Oslo on Dec. 10 to accept the honor.

In the hours after five Norwegians, four women and one man, put the fledgling U.S. president in the same class as Martin Luther King, Nelson Mandela, Elie Wiesel, Mikhail Gorbachev and Mother Teresa, effusive praise came from European capitals, where the new American leader is much more popular than his Republican predecessor, George W. Bush.

German Chancellor Angela Merkel called the award an "incentive to the president and to us all" to do more for peace, adding that "his engagement for a world free of nuclear weapons is a goal that we must all try to achieve in the coming years."

"In a short time," she said, "he has been able to set a new tone throughout the world and to create a readiness for dialogue."

Newly elected Japanese Prime Minister Yukio Hatoyama said he saw "the world changing" since Mr. Obama entered the White House on Jan. 20 - just 11 days before the Nobel Peace Prize Committee deadline for candidate submissions.

"I am really pleased. I want to congratulate him from my heart," Mr. Hatoyama said on a visit to China, which issued no official statement on the award.

Critics also quickly made known their scorn for the Peace Prize choice, which came as Mr. Obama and his military advisers weigh sending tens of thousands of more U.S. troops to Afghanistan to escalate a 8-year-old war.

In Afghanistan, Taliban militia spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid condemned the prize, saying, "We have seen no change in his strategy for peace. He has done nothing for peace in Afghanistan."

The Palestinian Islamist movement Hamas, which controls the Gaza Strip, said the U.S. leader did not deserve the award.

"He did not do anything for the Palestinians except make promises," Hamas spokesman Samir Abu Zuhri said. "At the same time, he is giving his absolute support for the [Israeli] occupation."

Cuba piled on. The Nobel rewarded Mr. Obama's "promises and good intentions ... with only nine months in power and little concrete results to show," said the official Cubadebate Web site, to which longtime leader Fidel Castro regularly contributes opinion articles.

Mr. Obama "has begun pulling U.S. troops out of Iraq, but America remains mired on the Afghan front, where the situation is deteriorating rapidly and more civilians are dying now than ever," Cubadebate said. "His attempts at peace in the Middle East, which became one of his priorities, are stalled."

But Palestinian leader Mahmoud Abbas said he hoped the award would help bring about an independent Palestinian state, and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said the award "expresses the hope that your presidency will usher in a new era of peace and reconciliation."

In th

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Watch the video of the award being given. It is on YouTube. Even the guys in the background are laughing and snickering.

Obama was nominated for the award two weeks after he was in office- before he had even had a chance to give Wall Street a trillion dollars in bonuses, luxury getaways, private jets, hot rock massages, and $80K rugs. Even before he had a chance build his team of (literally) tax evaders, bankers, wall street elite, and lawyers (a cross section of America, no doubt) he had already been nominated for this award.

Obama has never run a private business in his life (like many of the people he has surrounded himself with). He never sat down at his kitchen table, trying to invent something, trying to create a business, trying to figure out how to market it, or offer excellent service. He- and most of his advisers- have all been on the Public dime for most of their carreers, in city jobs, state jobs, or Federal government jobs. Obama never even ran a lemonade stand before he was elected to the position of President of the United States. Even his short term as Senator was overwhelmingly bland, without accomplishment.

Obama, and most of his advisers have no experience in matters of the real economy- that is working small business, yet they still have the audacity to fire the heads of private companies (not in the Constitution!) and decide how much people are going to be paid (Pay Czar?).

Perhaps Obama's most notable accomplishment is the fact that before being President of the United States, and despite the fact that he has never even run a lemonade stand, he did manage to write 3 different autobiographies. I suppose that is worth mentioning; not much else is.

• Donna
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Only those who are ignorant, miserable, hateful, and jealous are making fun of this distinction for President Obama. The rest of us are very proud that our President and this country were bestowed with such an honor.

• older
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

words, words, and a bunch of hot air by others doesn't mean anything. anyone that thinks he did anything to deserve it---well---you can give him credit for setting aside 20 million dollars to bring thousands & thousands of palestinians here who are full of hamas and will give them food and lodging & transportation. that's just what we need

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Because the man has done nothing for peace ! The Nobel peace prize has no currency anymore.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

The Nobel Peace Prize should be for ACCOMPLISHMENTS...not words and promises.

• 1 decade ago

I can understand the conservatives reaction since they want to give our President no credit for anything anyway. The award committee gave their reasons for the award many times over. It has been posted many times on here and yet----------------. I do not understand how people can call themselves American and be darn right nasty when OUR PRESIDENT receives this huge honor.*

• 1 decade ago

Why don't you get off Obamas jock? He has a wife.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

They are Swedish. They can give the award to whomever the Hell they want.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Cut & paste much?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.